Prev: Re: SG2 newbie Q Next: Re: Jon, we need an Official Ruling! (was Re: SG2 newbie Q)

Re: Was: Re: do GMS/P troopers carry ARs? BUT is actually more about the nature of Time

From: Michael Sarno <msarno@p...>
Date: Thu, 24 Feb 2000 09:05:15 -0500
Subject: Re: Was: Re: do GMS/P troopers carry ARs? BUT is actually more about the nature of Time

Henrix wrote:

> I am all for the simple rule of letting the next guy take the SAW with
> reorganize action. That means it cannot be done while suppressed out
in the
> open, and that you have to take a reaction test to remain in position.

    Under this rule, it would be impossible for a unit moving in the
open to
lose a man and have his weapon picked up by a comrade.	This is a
situation
which has happened in the past, and will happen again.	I don't see why
it needs
to be ruled as illegal.

> As for the Nature of Time
>
> Michael Sarno wrote:
>
> >	Yes, it is gospel, according to St. Jon, chapter 2. <g>
Seriously,
> > it's in the book as the average.  Now, I don't think that every
action
> > takes 2.5 minutes.	It's simply the average.
>
> It's _just_ the average I'd say. That means it could be 1 minute, it
could,
> for my concern, be 15 minutes. We are talking about abstractions
> representing the ebb and flow of actions and initiatives, not set
times for
> how long a turn, much less an action, takes.

    I agree completely.  However, it does have some relation to the
length of
time that an action takes to complete.

> If you want to have actions taking a specified amount of time for each
> individual member of the squad, I think you are after another game.

    I don't want to have action taking a specified amount of time.  I'm
talking
about reality checking the house rule that we're discussing.  Without
comparing
it to some time frame, it is completely impossible to arrive at a
reasonable
conclusion.

> Otherwise how do you cope with things such as that not all units movie
and
> fire at the same time, or that, by this reasoning, when the squad
leader
> makes a communication action, the rest of the squad sits absolutely
> motionless, doing nothing (which, I suppose, is what they really want
> do:-).

    What you've described would be the complete opposite of what I've
been
arguing.  If each squad's actions for a turn could total about 5 minutes
on
average, then all actions during a turn are occurring more or less
simultaneously, or, at least, interactively.

-Mike

--
Michael Sarno

http://vietnam.isonfire.com
Check out the Charlie Company Discussion Group:
Info, resources, and links for RAFM's miniatures
skirmish wargame of infantry combat in Vietnam 1965-1972

"Tradition refuses to submit to the small and
 arrogant oligarchy of those who merely happen
 to be walking about."
 -G.K. Chesterton

Prev: Re: SG2 newbie Q Next: Re: Jon, we need an Official Ruling! (was Re: SG2 newbie Q)