Prev: Re: NBC Next: Re: NBC

Was: Re: do GMS/P troopers carry ARs? BUT is actually more about the nature of Time

From: Henrix <henrix@p...>
Date: Thu, 24 Feb 2000 05:05:37 +0100
Subject: Was: Re: do GMS/P troopers carry ARs? BUT is actually more about the nature of Time

I am all for the simple rule of letting the next guy take the SAW with a
reorganize action. That means it cannot be done while suppressed out in
the
open, and that you have to take a reaction test to remain in position.
Sounds like it is exactly what we are looking for. As for a roll to see
if
it is whole, well, yet another die roll, yet another complication.

As for the Nature of Time

Michael Sarno wrote:

>     Yes, it is gospel, according to St. Jon, chapter 2. <g>
Seriously,
> it's in the book as the average.  Now, I don't think that every action
> takes 2.5 minutes.  It's simply the average.

It's _just_ the average I'd say. That means it could be 1 minute, it
could,
for my concern, be 15 minutes. We are talking about abstractions
representing the ebb and flow of actions and initiatives, not set times
for
how long a turn, much less an action, takes.

If you want to have actions taking a specified amount of time for each
individual member of the squad, I think you are after another game.
Otherwise how do you cope with things such as that not all units movie
and
fire at the same time, or that, by this reasoning, when the squad leader
makes a communication action, the rest of the squad sits absolutely
motionless, doing nothing (which, I suppose, is what they really want to
do:-).

Of course we could all be playing a game where a game turn is 15 minutes
and
zero seconds. As our first action the squad is moving through the woods,
at
3.3 km/h, but we lost 30 seconds since Murphy had to tie his shoelaces
and
85 seconds as Moses had to take a leak. Then we try giving an order,
that
takes a D5 minutes, adding 2, since the destination is not in sight when
the
communication is despatched (Spider was behind a tree), and adding 3
more
minutes for changing orders of an allied general or prompting an
irregular
body......Hey, wait a second, that's WRG 7th ed.! Wonder why I don't
play
that anymore...:-)

--
Henrix