Prev: Re: Where's the Cheese? Next: Re: Where's the Cheese?

Canada 2183

From: "Thomas.Barclay" <Thomas.Barclay@s...>
Date: Mon, 21 Feb 2000 11:44:39 -0500
Subject: Canada 2183

The discussion of the maritimes joining the US versus a Celtic
confederation
is quite fascinating.

Likely:
1) The maritimes will try to survive. In the long run, it is why they
joined
Canada (some folk thought it was their best place to be, I believe they
were
right). Some folk of course disagreed.
2) Survival may or may not indicate independence, alliance with another
power, or submergence into a larger power as the best option.
3) I could see the Maritimes joining the US - they aren't that
culturally
different than some of the New England states. I could see them joining
Scotland or Ireland - they fiercely retain their culture. I could see
them
independent, as places like PEI especially eschewed confederation when
it
was first offered.
4) I could see the US NOT accepting them - powerful voting blocks in
California, New York, and other areas aren't going to want to dilute the
Congressional power pie any further so I suspect they may kibosh any
attempts to expand the list of states. Though that does not rule out
protectorate or some similar status.
5) I could see the Celtic states not accepting them (we'd be sort of
quaint
newcomer bumpkin wannabee cousins in many eyes over there). Plus there
are
matters of pragmatism - defence is probably impossible or at least
improbable and common administration would provide only a limited
benefit
set.
6) Remaining with Ontario and other Canadian provinces under reasonably
common jurisprudence, trade regulations, etc. might be administratively
and
legally far easier. Let Quebec separate... it isn't like they can take
the
land and they'd be stupid to give the rest of Canada grief about
free-passage and decently open trading laws - they'd suffer worse in one
of
those conflicts.

I suspect it most likely the Maritimes and the other provinces would
hold
together. Most folk may not see it because it differs from the US
flavour,
but there is a lot of sleeping patriotism up here - look at how we've
responded to wars, internal and external disasters, etc. Always with
more
vigour than one might expect for a reasonably laid back people. I think
it
quite likely the whole seperatism issue will still be raging in 2183...
but
if Quebec has gone (and Canada has collapsed - which is no more likely
than
the US collapsing from its many internal racial and social/economic
tensions)... then the Canada of 2183 is quite likely composed of all the
provinces but Quebec.

If both Canada and the US collapsed, that'd be a different situation - I
think BC and Washington might get together, the Midwest and the Canadian
Prairie Provinces might get together, and the Maritimes and the New
England
States might well unite. These groups have a lot in common, if the
centralizing bond of nationhood were removed. But if it isn't, there are
still enough patriotic folk to hold together either country.

Or maybe it'll be like Canadian Bacon... and the US will just surrender
peacefully. You guys to the south of us really can't win you know... we
already control Hollywood and we'll eventually get that silly line in
the
Constitution about the President being American born amended to read
North
American... just admit it... if the Tuffleyverse had been written in
Toronto, the NAC wouldn't exist, and Canadians would be running the USA.
:)

Tom

Thomas Barclay
Software UberMensch
xwave solutions
(613) 831-2018 x 3008

Prev: Re: Where's the Cheese? Next: Re: Where's the Cheese?