Prev: Re: Where's the Cheese? Next: Re: Full Thrust game report

Re: Alternate history[Here's my Timeline](long)

From: Brian Quirt <baqrt@m...>
Date: Sun, 20 Feb 2000 10:58:35 -0400
Subject: Re: Alternate history[Here's my Timeline](long)

> > > However, Nova Scotia and Newfoundland actually join with Scotland,

> > > Ireland, and Wales in the Celtic Confederation,

*> > This I find a better possibility than the above. I don't see the
*> > Maritime provinces joining the States- not even by 2014. It's FAR
more
*> > likely that they would join Scotland/etc,

> could someone explain this to me? why exactly would the maritimes seek
> join up with the celtic british states? i'm not even sure that the
celtic
> british states would join up amongst themselves, let alone want to
hook up
> with ex-canadians (no offence to putative ex-canadians!). are there
any
> Scots, Irish or Welsh listers who would like to comment?

	I didn't say that it was likely- only that it was FAR more
likely that
the maritimes would seek to join the celtic british states (or britain
itself) than that they would join the US. I live in Ontario, but I'm in
the Maritimes for university, and my part in this (marked with the stars
in the above quoted text) is essentially based on my observations.
	For a variety of reasons, Canadians tend to hold anti-american
sentiments (not extremely STRONG sentiments, but there is that
tendency). I noticed that in Ontario (and share it to some extent, but
that's not relevant to this discussion), and found that it's also true
of the Maritimes. That's the primary reason that I don't think that the
Maritimes joining the US is likely- and certainly not within the next 15
years.
	As for celtic british states, I've noticed here that there are
strong
connections to those traditions- many of the people here (not most, by
any means, but many) still see themselves as having strong connections
to various parts of the UK, and to scotland/ireland/wales in particular.
I have no idea as to what the celtic british states think about this- my
only opinion is about the sentiments HERE. And you will note that I
considered it more likely that the Maritimes would remain w/ Ontario et.
al. to try to keep Canada alive, than that they would join Britain.

Although, to be honest, I don't see the NAC as THAT likely either.
Although, if the US was involved in a modern (and potentially nuclear)
civil war, I guess the UK is the next obvious choice as an ally....

Above is my opinions only....
-Brian Quirt

Prev: Re: Where's the Cheese? Next: Re: Full Thrust game report