Prev: Re: Alternate history[Here's my Timeline](long) Next: Re: Where's the Cheese?

Re: Where's the Cheese?

From: Brian Quirt <baqrt@m...>
Date: Sun, 20 Feb 2000 09:57:54 -0400
Subject: Re: Where's the Cheese?

> > OK, that's peaking a lot higher on my "cheese" meter.  Which may not
make
> > sense given what I just said about the SAW split, but the game does
treat
> > the SAW and the riflemen as separate elements in a squad...  OK,
it's
> > completely subjective here.  I don't have a problem with splitting
off the
> > SAW and firing at the same target (especially as it is going to
cause less
> > damage).  I do have a problem with doing this with riflemen.
Contradictory
> > views?  Probably.  Doesn't have to make absolute perfect sense,
though.
> > It's a game :)
>
>     "The test of a first-rate intelligence is the ability to hold two
opposed
> ideas in the mind at the same time and still retain the ability to
function."
> F. Scott Fitzgerald, in The Crack-Up.  You could always rationalize
this along
> the lines you've suggested above.  Over the course of the turn, half
the squad
> is firing while the other reloads, then they switch roles.  I just
don't see it
> as cheese because the squad that splits fire is using up two actions
and has
> less of a chance to cause casualties.  They're giving up something for
the
> advantage of an increased chance of suppression.  To me, that's
exactly what
> combat is about.  You trade off certain advantages and disadvantages.
Knowing
> when to do what is the whole idea behind tactics.

Well, this one I'm also a bit worried about. One of the people in my
play group usually uses 10-man squads (8 troopers w/ FP3 rifles, 2 w/
SAW). If the squad could split, he'd go from 1 fire action
Quality/D12/SAW/SAW to 2 actions each of Quality/D12/SAW. It doesn't
seem to me like he has much less chance of scoring hits that way....

-Brian Quirt

Prev: Re: Alternate history[Here's my Timeline](long) Next: Re: Where's the Cheese?