Prev: Re: Alternate history[Here's my Timeline](long) Next: [sgII] Cheap and simple skirmish scenery

Re: Alternate history[Here's my Timeline](long)

From: John Leary <john_t_leary@p...>
Date: Sat, 19 Feb 2000 11:38:23 -0800
Subject: Re: Alternate history[Here's my Timeline](long)

JohnDHamill@aol.com wrote:
...Snip...JTL
> I would agree, as far as the Southwest, but the rest of the area
mentioned,
> the plains states especially, are going that way anyway, if you look
at
> census reports from those areas, they are either losing population, or
> holding steady, which means that the population is getting older, and
as soon
> as it hits a certain average age, will start depopulating quickly.
There is
> already an environmental movement, small but growing, to make vast
> unpopulated regions of the plains states what they call the "Buffalo
Commons"
> to go back to it's original natural state. It's not out of the realm
of
> possibility that this could be combined with a well thought out PR
campaign
> to allow the decendants of Native Americans to make that a independant
> homeland. After all, with the decrease in population, via moving and
age,
> there won't be too many "red-necks" living there at that time, and
they don't
> have good PR... So an internal Native American "independant" state, I
can
> buy, give it enough time, and it'll probably happen.
XXX
     The economic value of the region is to important to the nation
and world to allow this major producer of the worlds food to be allowed
to 'return to nature'.	 JTL
XXX
> As far as the Southwest, the timeline should be more realistic, as I
live
> here and can see the demographic changes. If Mexico doesn't have
another
> revolution in the next 10-20 years, the whole border region will be
defacto
> mexican territory, with the US having token control of their side of
the
> border. This is simply taking present trends and extrapolating them
out, it
> could change for a number of reasons. For example, if there is a
revolution
> in Mexico, then the border would become heavily militarized,
preventing the
> leakage we see now. Or if relations between Mexico and the US soured,
we
> could see again a tightening of border controls. If a isolationist
faction
> came into favor in the US, there could be a reversal of this trend.
But
> barring significant changes the southern border will "change hands",
sometime
> in the next 10-20 years.
XXX
     Hispanics are a majority of the population in California.	It
remains to
be seen if the 'MechA or LaRaza' types will try to carry out the
agressive
propaganda of 'taking back' the seven western states.  JTL
XXX

> John

Bye for now,
John L.

Prev: Re: Alternate history[Here's my Timeline](long) Next: [sgII] Cheap and simple skirmish scenery