Prev: Re: DSII motorcycles/grav bikes Next: DSII Chits

Re: Georgia in winter

From: J Noble <jnoble@a...>
Date: Wed, 16 Feb 2000 00:20:10 -0900
Subject: Re: Georgia in winter

>Date: Tue, 15 Feb 2000 18:30:34 -0500 (EST)
>From: Ryan M Gill <monty@arcadia.turner.com>
>Subject: RE: Was re: RFACS but diverging into philosophic ramblings
>about future tech...
>
>On Wed, 16 Feb 2000, Robertson, Brendan wrote:
>
> > Not really.
> > Someone could always press the SMITE button & melt all the snow; but
>you
> > might start glowing at night.
>
>Or he could move here where it was 67¡F and had a cloudless blue sky.
>rode the bike to work today, as I did yesterday. Georgia in the winter
>(what many people would call spring or fall) is so wonderful...
>
></gloat>
>
>** Is that plus or minus Tornados? And I'll bet in the summer it gets
>*real* hot. See, the nice thing about life above the 49th Parallel (I
>think that's the right one... though that could be the northern one...)
>is that the summers are (except for 3-4 weeks at the hottest) quite
>bearable. Fall and Spring are awesome seasons. We don't get many
floods,
>we get few earth tremors (Canadian Shield and all) and we don't get too
>many Tornados, and pretty much zero in the realm of Typhoons, Tropical
>Storms, and Hurricanes. All in all, we shouldn't complain about a wee
>bit of snow. I'll cut Adrian some slack... he has a little more
>difficulty with big piles of snow than most of us... but mostly Canada
>is just about the best place to live.... (although the Aussie claim of
>not owning a greatcoat or any sort of significant jacket certainly does
>make one think twice on a Cold freezin-ass Ontario evening...).
>
>You go ride your bike and enjoy your 67 F. When it hits 107 in the
>summer, then we'll talk about how nice it is up here in the land of the
>Mukluk and the Igloo.... ;)
>
>Tom

Well Said!  But is 49th parallel the best you can muster?  I'm up
above the 60th, and things are still rather nice (assuming you like
winter activities)

Summers are a balmy 65-75 F, with 20+ hours of sunlight a day.
Upwards of 22 at mid summer.  The weather in Anchorage is fairly
moderate, though I have gone to school when it was -40 (F and C)
_before_ the wind.  That's unusual, though.  January was a crazy
combination of snow dumps (8+ inches a night, plus another 6 during
the day) alternating with chinooks. the _strong_, warm southern winds
that put us well above freezing and suck up all the snow that got
deposited.  The only difficulty is when the snow doesn't entirely
evaporate and then re-freezes, leaving a nice wind-polished sheet of
ice on everything, especially the roads.  ;>

But whenever I think about 100 F + weather, a bit of snow looks fine,
especially when I can throw a log on the fireplace and relax.

Jared

Prev: Re: DSII motorcycles/grav bikes Next: DSII Chits