Prev: Re: RFACS Next: Re: Cop out...

Re: FT: Very new to this

From: "Andrew Martin" <Al.Bri@x...>
Date: Mon, 14 Feb 2000 13:06:35 +1300
Subject: Re: FT: Very new to this

Brian Bilderback wrote:
> ... My only minor critique is that the only time air units would fight
each other would be when interception each other after one of them
begins an
attack run.

I felt it was in keeping with the structure of DSII turns. The
interception
of ground attack craft by enemy fighters, and the counter-interception
by
friendly fighters, fitted with my computer game experience, and seemed
match real-life descriptions of air combat.
    Of course, there's nothing stopping you from having one of your
Aerospace units directly attack a opposing aerospace unit, off board,
behind
enemy lines. But I consider that as venturing too deep into an enemy's
air
defence zone. I believe that would be too deadly to accomplish in a
SF/ultramodern game. Consider that the DS2 table top represents the
disputed
area, and that the enemy off-board air area are too dangerous for a
hostile
air unit to exist, much less fight an opponent. Of course, I fudge this
little with allowing air strikes on off-board artillery, reasoning that
the
artillery unit/s aren't that far off the battlefield.

> The rules I found and modified to my taste (and am still tinkering
with)
allow for direct air-to-air combat. There's still a lot of work to be
done
on them. Would you be offended if I incorporated what I found on your
site
into the house rules I use?

Go ahead. I'd like to see your finished result.

Andrew Martin
ICQ: 26227169
http://members.xoom.com/AndrewMartin/
-><-