Prev: Re: Strike Boats... Next: Re: FT Strikeboats

Re: FT strikeboats

From: GBailey@a...
Date: Sun, 13 Feb 2000 09:13:30 EST
Subject: Re: FT strikeboats

>From: "Oerjan Ohlson" <oerjan.ohlson@telia.com>
>
>>I used two types of guns, based on the same mass 10 hull and cost 37
>>points each (including weapons).  No FTL, Thrust of 4,
>
>*Much* too slow for a strikeboat IMO, regardless of which movement
>system you used. I consider thrust 6 to be the absolute minimum for
>non-missile strike boats attacking a mobile enemy.

...just because you fight very mobile enemies.	Thrust 6 is plenty fast
for my main "enemy" (Steve has thrust 2 battlewagons, he even decided
thrust 1 was too slow).  I have new Thrust 6 strike boats at my web site

under the Blue fleet list.

http://hometown.aol.com/gbailey/GBMain.html

I tried 12 torp boats, mass 14, thrust 6, 180 degree torp.  They died
in droves from Steve's 5 FC battlewagon, but this kept all his firepower
from firing at our main ships.	It was close but we still lost (damn
dice
rolls taking out all my FCs in one threshold check...grrr).

>>1 hull, 1 armor, 1 FC, and 1 PDAF (wasted, he had no fighters).  Torp
>>varrient had one single arc pulse trop.  The other had two needle
>>beams.  DO NOT USE NEEDLE BEAMS.  I had never tried them before
>>and don't recommend them...
>
>Depends what you're going to shoot at :-/ In this particular case,
>I'd've favoured taking out the drives of those Komarovs (since you
>didn't have many beam weapons, otherwise screens would've been the
>priority) in order to sit in his rear arc for the rest of the battle
>:-/

yep, go for the drives.

>FC shots are good against DDs (mission-killing them with one hit) and
>sometimes against cruisers, but doesn't work too well against ships
>with many FCs.
'>Course, if you can't roll a '6' to save your life needles aren't a
>very good deal anyway <g>

*sigh*	  I can roll 6s, but in another game (SFB) where low is good.

Glen

Prev: Re: Strike Boats... Next: Re: FT Strikeboats