Prev: Re: FT: Strikeboat design Next: Re: FT: Strikeboat design

Re: Tanks

From: JohnDHamill@a...
Date: Wed, 9 Feb 2000 23:34:37 EST
Subject: Re: Tanks

Popeyesays@aol.com writes:

<< <<
  How about the extra eyes in the extra tanks,	More automation = less
men
  driving each target smaller tanks with same protection and fire power
and
  less tonnage to haul to deploy the force.  Giving you more maneuver
units.

 More units - each one less efficent than tanks with larger crews.

I'm sorry, we're talking about 2185, we're probably going to have
computers
that can handle most of what we're talking about in 50 years, much less
185... with much more solid state equipment than we have today, the
track
maintenance, and power plant duties will probably be able to be handled
automatically, or at the very least by a minimum of crew. If you want to

argue about near future combat, that is, within the next 20 to 50 years,
can see some of your arguments, but saying that tanks will require the
same
number of crew as today in 185 years is like someone from the early
1800's
saying that the future of warfare belongs to massed ranks of infantry.
The
future tanks we're talking about will be far different than we imagine,
if
they still use tanks at all.

Prev: Re: FT: Strikeboat design Next: Re: FT: Strikeboat design