Prev: Re: Clarificationson my HBW ideas. Next: Re: [FT] Heavy Beams - scattered comments to the debate

Re: "Tanks, for the Memories"

From: Ryan M Gill <monty@a...>
Date: Wed, 9 Feb 2000 16:47:36 -0500 (EST)
Subject: Re: "Tanks, for the Memories"

On Wed, 9 Feb 2000 adrian.johnson@sympatico.ca wrote:

> these things.  The Italian Centauro B1 is an 8 wheeled armoured
vehicle
> that carries a 105mm cannon (same type of gun as the M1 was initially

The South Africans have one as well. They also have a similar set of
APCs
(Buffels and Cascevals based on Unimog Chassis), IFVs (Ratels), and Tank

Destroyers (Rooikats).

RooiKat 105.
http://www.army-technology.com/projects/rooikat/index.html

> a lot better than a HMMWV for survivability...  In an emergency, they
could
> go toe-to-toe with an enemy tank force (especially if the enemy is of
the
> Iraqi/North Korean kind with 1950's and '60's vintage Russian armour
in the
> majority).

Depending on Doctrine and training, I can see a better led force winning

against such a force. Being better in training would help. Being able to

get past them and get inside their rear areas, would pretty much make it

possible to avoid fighting them fairly in the first place.

I'd love to see how a really well led (wiley commander types) could do
with fast wheeled AFVs against an armoured opponent. Catch him when he's

transporting and when he is resupplying and it could be hell for the
tracked guys.

- Ryan Montieth Gill	  NRA / DoD# 0780 (Smug #1) / AMA / SOHC -
- ryan.gill@turner.com	    I speak not for CNN, nor they for me -
- rmgill@mindspring.com 	     www.mindspring.com/~rmgill/ -
- '85 Honda CB700S  -  '72 Honda CB750K  - '76 Chevy MonteCarlo  -
-  No more limits on the 2nd amendment. Enforce the extant laws  -

Prev: Re: Clarificationson my HBW ideas. Next: Re: [FT] Heavy Beams - scattered comments to the debate