Prev: Re: OrcCon Event news and Web Site update Next: RE: Clarifications my HBW ideas.

Clarificationson my HBW ideas.

From: Graeme Bradbury <graeme.bradbury@b...>
Date: Wed, 9 Feb 2000 18:06:55 -0000
Subject: Clarificationson my HBW ideas.

Should of added
Amount of dice each BE can emit is limited to class x 2.
For damage first point of each dice goes to armour, rest to hull.

Schoon wrote:

>Hit/damage.
>One dice roll per energy point allocated. Damage is equal to amount
rolled
>minus 1 per 6mu
>and minus 1 per level of shield. A SIX always causes at least one point
>but no rerolls.

I can't say I care for this mechanic. Why not just simplify to just -1
per
6 MU, or fraction thereof, and -1 per screen level. The auto 1 point on
six seems superfluous.

I added the 6 always causes one point. Since HBW's are the only weapon
were defenses affect not only damage but range as well. At least with
this way. a Level two screen doesn't drop the uppper range to 24"

Schoon also wrote:

I think that this argument is not viable. When I plugged in all the
numbers
for my final Damage*ArcArea/Mass ratings, I factored in the average
damage
per turn in balancing.

They are two different styles of weapons. Both have adv/disadv.

ie. you have your standard torpedo/hbw boats, with 6 mass of
weapons/defense.
(1 p-torp; class 1 BE and class 1 BPS)

(assuming the fight is 12" all the time)
Every single turn the p-torp can fire and average 2.33 damage.
Every single turn the HBW fires it averages 2.50 damage.

Now there is bound to be turns when the boats can't fire at each other.
The next time they fire upon each other ptorp does 2.33 damage.
HBW does 5 damage.

So the HBW doesn't have the option to add extra arcs to the BE. You can
always add a small BE in the side arcs just in case.

eg. ship A has two p-torps with 2 xtra arcs each. these take up 12 mass
and costs 36 points.

Ship B has has a class 2 BPS a CLass 2 BE and 2x Class 1 BE. This
takes up 10 mass and costs 30 points.
(class 2 BPS mass 6)
(Class 2 BE mass 2)
(Class 1 BE mass 1)

Ship A can fire 2 dice worth of damage in the front 180.

Ship B can pump out 2 dice worth of damage if the target is in the front
180.
It can also fire 4 dice in the front arc if it had a previous turn of no
firing.

Admittedly the HBW becomes more effective the more mass available in
the ship.

ie. 4x3arc p-torp = 24 mass
equal HBW system 20 mass.

Graeme

Prev: Re: OrcCon Event news and Web Site update Next: RE: Clarifications my HBW ideas.