Prev: OrcCon Event news and Web Site update Next: Re: FT: Strikeboat design

RE: FT: Strikeboat design

From: Sean Bayan Schoonmaker <schoon@a...>
Date: Wed, 9 Feb 2000 08:47:22 -0800
Subject: RE: FT: Strikeboat design

>One problem with a one hit point boat is that one PDS has 1 in 6
>chance to take it out.

Ummm - Unless I'm missing something here, PDSs don't get to fire at
ships.

>I usually try to put at least 1 armor point on a boat which also
>eliminates the 4-5 roll on a beam die from taking it out.

Agreed. Actually, I've been thinking that two armour points might be
better, making not even a 0-12 MU range Class 3 shot a "sure kill."

>Also, it doesn't take much to knock out a weapon on a boat.

As long as you keep the Hull down to one box, you don't have to worry
about
that. Just add armour to give more damage capacity. That way: no
thresholds.

>It doesn't pay to not put in an FTL drive since the mass requirement
>is so low.  I've designed "battle riders" but it just doesn't pay for
the
>reduction in FTL capabilities if you want to play a campaign.

I disagree. With a squadron of 6 Strikeboats, you save 6 MASS by not
installing FTL. The tender will use anywhere between 7 and 12 MASS
(depending on the MASS of your SBs) to carry them. However, the tender
can
generally afford to "waste" that MASS much more than your SBs.

Schoon

Prev: OrcCon Event news and Web Site update Next: Re: FT: Strikeboat design