Prev: Re: What? No way... Next: Re: "Tanks, for the Memories"

RE: No Munchkin Zone

From: Brian Burger <yh728@v...>
Date: Tue, 8 Feb 2000 23:04:58 -0800 (PST)
Subject: RE: No Munchkin Zone

On Tue, 8 Feb 2000, Tom Anderson wrote:

> On Tue, 8 Feb 2000, Bell, Brian K wrote:
>
> > From:	devans@uneb.edu [SMTP:devans@uneb.edu]
> >
> > > Was gzg-l ever declared a no-munchkin zone?
> >
> > I hope not.
> <snip/>
> >   4. The mailing list. I point out that this mailing list is a great
> > educational resource. I have seen discussions on probability,
physics,
> > history, psychology, astronomy, literature and other topics. Also,
this list
> > carries a VERY LOW noise to signal ratio (flames to content). My
hat's off
> > to all the fine people who continue to make this list TRUELY
valuable.

> agreed. somehow, the list seems to be self-selecting against
munchkinism;
> perhaps it's the quality of the games, perhaps it's the player
> demographics; i think a lot of it is that munchkinism cannot survive
in an
> envirnoment filled with sensible, mature gamers, which is pretty much
what
> GZG-L is.

The list is pretty self-selecting against munchkinism, and the games
even
more so. This was brought home for me a couple of weeks ago while
intro'ing two new people to SG2 - There really is no way to cheese-out
basic SG2. Even Elite 1 PA squads blow rolls, amd more importantly, they
_suppress_ just as easily!

I don't know about other people's experience, but what usually happens
in
our SG2 games is that the PA, outnumbered 1.5 or 2 to 1, carry out one
or
two brutal close assaults, then get pinned down by fire and slowly,
slowly
cut to pieces.

DS2 is similarly balanced - a giant, potentially cheezy Ogre-type
vehicle
can and would be killed by a horde of Size 1 fleas...

It's the best feature of the GZG games, I think.

Brian (yh728@victoria.tc.ca)
-DS2/SG2/FR!/HOTT-
		   - http://warbard.iwarp.com/games.html -
-SciFi & Fantasy Wargaming House Rules, Photos, GWAutobasher, & more-
   -"Just because it's not nice doesn't mean it's not miraculous."-
	 - from Terry Pratchett's 'Interesting Times' -

Prev: Re: What? No way... Next: Re: "Tanks, for the Memories"