Prev: Re: Munchkin's Guide... Next: FT: 2 ships from TV

[SG2] Demo game report

From: -MWS- <mshurtleff1@u...>
Date: Tue, 08 Feb 2000 16:32:42 -0800
Subject: [SG2] Demo game report

Greetings, folks!

Well, after much delay, I *finally* got my first SG2 game under my belt.
We were all first-timers, so the scenario was played to exercise the
rules
instead of being played to win <g>.  We had a good time, and I think
that
I've gained about 4 or 5 new opponents just from the amount of interest
shown while Rick & I were playing at the Redmond Games & Gizmos - which
is
basically a GW shop :-).

Things my opponent learned:
---------------------------
* Don't get caught out in the open.  He lost an entire light infantry
squad
by not making it to cover before coming under fire.

* Take the high ground <eg>.  I managed to get a squad In Position up on
top of a rooftop with good cover.  This resulted in numerous Suppression
hits on several units that severely inhibited his choice of actions.

* Be careful how you activate your units.  I gained several turns worth
of
advantage by carefully choosing how to pass activations along from my
platoon commander before he caught on how to properly manage his
activations.

Things I learned:
-----------------
* Fumbling your Combat Move roll for a close assault really sucks rocks.
We tried a Power Armor vs Power Armor close assault just for giggles.
Since you *must* Combat Move into Close Assault, I thought that I was
fairly safe being only 5" away with an 8" base movement factor. So what
do
I do?  Roll a 2, naturally.  Taking point blank reactive fire really
*hurts*.

* It's easy to forget to take the proper morale checks when you're
learning.  But since we both forgot about an equal number of times, it
all
worked out.

I knew that I would like this game once I finally got around to playing
it,
so it's nice to see that my initial impressions were justified.

Mark "Hauptmann" Shurtleff
 email: hauptman@sfcmd.com
 StarFighter Command Homepage: http://www.sfcmd.com/

Prev: Re: Munchkin's Guide... Next: FT: 2 ships from TV