Prev: RE: Sandbagged APCs? Next: Re: HBW. My input +

RE: [SG DS] Tactics

From: "Glover, Owen" <oglover@m...>
Date: Wed, 9 Feb 2000 09:42:08 +1000
Subject: RE: [SG DS] Tactics

> Subject: [SG DS] Tactics
>

> Chris wrote:
> > I would like to start a discussion on tactics, stuff like how to use
> artillery properly, how to use tanks and IFVs properly and how to use
> infantry.
> >I've recently learned how to exploit peoples mistakes.  Such
> as sending in
> squads unsupported at me, and then me hitting him from two
> sides.  I killed
> an entire power armor platoon with two infantry squads and
> two PA squads.
> >I want to know how to use all the different resources and how to make
> people make mistakes. I would appreciate a discussion about
> this, and I hope
> others will too.

Always support squads. In RL the catch phrase "One foot on the ground"
is
very valid. One squad moving another covering. The squad moving may get
suppressed but the fire support will allow it to get out and moving
again.
In game turns you should consider something like the Pl Comd activating
both
squads; one fires to suppress enemy with view of open ground, the second
squad then moves across. Another possible approach is the covering squad
fires then lays smoke for the moving squad; in it's own turn then the
moving
squad may use smoke to cover the final distance if it can't make it in
12".

IAVRs are very good for causing suppressions but some people think this
is
gamey. If the enemy has vehicles keep the IAVRs for vehicles. If the
enemy
is reasonably known to NOT have armour then IAVRs are very good for
this. In
personal experience we would train to engage tree shots with 66mm LAW if
we
couldn't use the M203 40mm.

Use Detachments. A lot! If there is a nasty piece of open ground you can
split your squad and send the detachmetn across first then the remainder
of
the squad! Reduces casualties. If in a covering position and there are
two
targets detachments allow you to engage two targets. you are only trying
suppress at this stage after all!

Smoke is good! I tend to use smoke as much as I can to cover movement.
eg
Form detachment, main body throws smoke, deatchment them moves across
open
ground safely. Not just reasonable but realistic. In our games though we
tend to limit smoke; eg 4 per turn or similar. We also discourage the
Fire,
then Throw Smoke just so the enemy can't shoot back....

Keep the Pl Comd up close behind the lead squads. If he needs to
communicate
he can automatically without needing to roll for comms and can provide
fire
support if needed!

There is so much to cover in tactics that you could be going forever!
(well,
10 weeks worth actually; that's how long you spend on the Promotion
Courses
for Corporal and Sergeant in Australian Army at least).

Owen G

Prev: RE: Sandbagged APCs? Next: Re: HBW. My input +