Prev: Strikeboat Design Next: RE: Sandbagged APCs?

RE: FT: High Energy Turns (ala SFB)

From: "Dean Gundberg" <dean.gundberg@n...>
Date: Tue, 8 Feb 2000 16:51:28 -0600
Subject: RE: FT: High Energy Turns (ala SFB)

> Dean Gundberg suggested an option a while back for emergency power
that I
> believe could double your maneuver drive output for the turn it was
> requested with a risk of damaging the engines.  I found this
> concept to fit
> well with HETs.  Dean, could you repost this?

Here are the Emergency Thrust rules I have posted in the past but in a
slightly revised version.  I will also get these up on my website
sometime
soon.

Emergency Thrust - Optional Rules

The thrust rating of a ship is the normal amount of thrust that can be
used
each turn to change a ships movement without damage to the engines.
Emergency Trust rules allow players to simulate captains who push the
engines to the limit but as a result, there is a chance to damage the
engines in the process (But Captain, the dylithium crystals can't take
the
strain!).  Ships may also use these Emergency Thrust rules to turn more
than
normally allowed, even up to the Kra'Vak level of maneuverability.

When using Emergency Thrust, the engines can create additional thrust
points
equal to 50% the engines current rating (rounded down).  A thrust 4 ship
may
attempt to use 5 or 6 points of thrust in a turn, a thrust 3 ship may
attempt to use 4 points of thrust, etc.  The amount of thrust available
for
turning is normally limited to half of the available thrust, but when
using
Emergency Thrust rules, all available thrust points many be plotted for
turning.

The process is to plot the move, and if Emergency Thrust is used, roll
determine if the ET was; A)successful, B)successful but damaged engines,
or
C)failed and damaged the thrust engines.  If successful, move the ship
as
plotted with ET.  If successful but damaged engines, allow the Emergency
Thrust movement but mark the thrust engines as damaged.  If failed and
damaged engines, the plotted movement must be reduced to the normal
limits
of thrust and turns, then mark the thrust engines as damaged.  Once this
is
done, plotting of movement is done and you can move to the next phase of
the
game turn.

The Emergency Thrust Roll
If using more thrust than the thrust engines are rated for, a d6 is
rolled.
If using more than half of the rated thrust to turn, a d6 is rolled.  If
using more thrust than rated and using more than half of the available
the
rated thrust to turn, then 2d6 are rolled.  For each additional attempt
use Emergency Thrust by a ship in a scenario, roll another d6 (2nd
attempt
add 1 d6, 3rd attempt add 2d6, etc).

The results of the dice are read like beam battery dice, 1-3 no points,
4-5
1 point, 6 2 points (no re-roll).  If the total points of damage from
the
Emergency Thrust roll(s) is 0, then no damage and the Emergency Thrust
is
allowed.  If 1 point of damage, then the Emergency Thrust is allowed but
the
thrust engines are damaged. If 2-3 points, Emergency Thrust failed plus
the
thrust engines are damaged.  If 4+ points, Emergency Thrust has failed
plus
the thrust engines are destroyed and no longer produce thrust.	If a
damaged
engine gets another result of damaged, then that thrust engine is
destroyed
just as if it were damaged a 2nd time by threshold rolls.

Damage to engines from the use of Emergency Thrust may be repaired by
damage
control teams.	If the thrust engines are already damaged, then the
current
rating of half of the normal thrust is the 'original' thrust for that
turn
and calculations are based on this amount.

If using Vector movement, these rules should be pretty much the same, if
more than half thrust is used for any combination of pushes, rotations,
or
rolls, this would be considered ET, roll a d6.	If the main drive burn
is
plotted with more thrust than it is rated for, that is ET, roll a d6.
If
pushing more than the allowed half of main thrust, roll a d6, etc.  ET
is
again limited to an additional 50% of the current maximum.

  Example: a Cruiser with thrust 4 and undamaged engines plots the
following
cinematic movement, P3+3 for a total of 6 thrust points.  A d6 is rolled
for
the creation of Emergency Thrust over the normal maximum available of 4.
2nd d6 is rolled since the 3 points of thrust are used to turn which is
more
than the 2 normally allowed on a thrust 4 ship.  If the rolls are 2, and
3,
the ET is allowed, no problems.  If the rolls are 1 and 5, then 1 point
of
damage is indicated and the ET is allowed but the thrust engines are
damaged.  If the rolls are 4 and 5, the ET is not allowed, the player
must
re-plot the movement using normal thrust rules, and the thrust engines
are
damaged. If the rolls are 6 and 6, then the ET is not allowed, the
player
must reduce the plotted movement to an allowed amount, and the engines
are
destroyed after movement.

If the ET was allowed and on the next turn ET is again attempted with a
plot
of S4+1, again roll a d6 for over the 4 thrust, a d6 for turning over
the
normal max of 2, but also roll an additional d6 since this is the 2nd
attempt of ET in the scenario.

Dean Gundberg

Starship Combat News
The latest information on Space Games and Miniatures
http://star_ranger.homestead.com/
star_ranger@my-deja.com

Prev: Strikeboat Design Next: RE: Sandbagged APCs?