Prev: re: Poll: HBs and Armour Next: Re: Strikeboat Design

Re: HBW. My input

From: Sean Bayan Schoonmaker <schoon@a...>
Date: Tue, 8 Feb 2000 08:37:40 -0800
Subject: Re: HBW. My input

I'll have to plug this into the spreadsheet and see what kind of number
get, but my off-the-cuff comments...

>I don't think they are balanced with p-torps for this reason:
>If a p-torp is out of arc it cannot fire!
>If a hbw is out of arc it can't fire, but if it is in arc next turn it
>fires at twice efectiveness.

IF it's in arc next turn, and that can be a mighty big if.

>BE's
>mass = class x 1
>points = mass x 3

Once again, I think that there will be a balancing problem if the BE is
not
in some way related in cost to the BPS. Meaning that a BE attached to a
Class 6 BPS is MUCH more effective than one attached to a Class 1.

>(ie one ptorp = 4mass 12pts)
>(one hbw class 1 = 4mass 12pts)

Matching the MASS and POINT COST is all very well if the efficiency is
also
exactly the same, which I'm not sure it is.

>Hit/damage.
>One dice roll per energy point allocated. Damage is equal to amount
rolled
>minus 1 per 6mu
>and minus 1 per level of shield. A SIX always causes at least one point
>but no rerolls.

I can't say I care for this mechanic. Why not just simplify to just -1
per
6 MU, or fraction thereof, and -1 per screen level. The auto 1 point on
six seems superfluous.

>p-torps are better weapons against shielded targets. HBW's are better
>weapons against
>armoured ones.

How so? They would seem to affect targets in the same manner, unless
you're
doing something I'm not seeing with the damage vs. armour.

>P-torps are less vulnerable too threshold checks than HBW's. HBW's on
the
>other hand have
>the added benefit of allowing a two turn damage strike in one turn, if
>they did not fire in an
>earlier turn.

I think that this argument is not viable. When I plugged in all the
numbers
for my final Damage*ArcArea/Mass ratings, I factored in the average
damage
per turn in balancing.

>so i think damage wise, point for point p-torp and HBW are about equal.
>HBW have a
>special ability (double damage) but have the downside of double
threshold
>checks.

Same comment.

Schoon

Prev: re: Poll: HBs and Armour Next: Re: Strikeboat Design