Prev: re: Poll: HBs and Armour Next: re: Poll: HBs and Armour

Re: FT: HETs

From: GBailey@a...
Date: Tue, 8 Feb 2000 11:24:00 EST
Subject: Re: FT: HETs

>>An operating FTL drive allows a ship to make an HET.	The HET must
>>be plotted and can only occur at the beginning of movement.  An HET
>>allows a ship to face any direction before moving.  After the HET is
>>performed, roll 1 die as a threshold check with a DM of -1, with a DM
>>of +1 per HET previously performed.  If the check fails the FTL drive
>>is damaged, 1 hull box is damaged, and the ship continues turning
>>for 1D6 points.  Then move the ship its normal plot.

>I think that associating the FTL Drive with a turn is not the best way
>do it. I'd prefer to only involve the Main Drives.

Since I was using Star Trek style miniatures, and the warp drive seems
to be the "driving" force in movement, then I think the FTL drive should
have some part in tactical movement when playing a Star Trek style game.
This could be an option, otherwise I can see it only relating to the
Main
Drive.

>I agree that a HET must be plotted in a ship's orders, but I would
think
>that it could be plotted at any time.

I thought about this, but I thought it was easier to implement break
downs
at the beginning of the movement.  Although, being able to do an HET at
the end of movement when you normally don't get to turn could be..
..very interesting....	:)

>I'd suggest this alternative...
>
>Ships with powerful Main Drives can sometimes alter the shape of their
>drive field to allow tighter than normal turns, but with risks. These
"High
>Energy Turns" (HETs) are more likely to be successful with stronger
drives.
>At the time the HET is performed, roll a threshold check for the
current
>row of hull boxes, subject to the following modifiers:
>
>Current Thrust 8+: -1 to roll
>Thrust 4-7: No modifier
>Thrust 1-4: +1 to roll
>per HET previously attempted: +1

An easier thing to remember is: roll 1D6, if it is higher than the
ship's
current
main drive rating the ship suffers a break down; DMs: +1 per previous
attempt,
+1 per threshold check already taken by the ship.

>Failure of this roll causes the appropriate drive reduction for a
threshold
>failure AND 1 point of hull damage per 6 MU (or fraction thereof) of
>current velocity. A failed HET causes no facing change.

I like the "tumble" effect.  You could end up facing the wrong way,
and/or
in the best arc for the enemy to fire at you instead of you having the
better firing solution.  You gamble big time, you may win or lose big
time.

>HETs must be plotted, and take place in the movement plot in the order
>written, either at the beginning of end of movement. The number of
headings
>changed with the HET must also be plotted. For example, a ship's orders
>might read: HET6P MD4. Meaning that the ship would rotate 6 headings to
the
>port (a complete reversal) and then accellerate 4 MU.
>

>Schoon

Thanks,
Glen

Prev: re: Poll: HBs and Armour Next: re: Poll: HBs and Armour