Prev: Re: Poll: HBs and Armour Next: For the Kiwis

Re: "Tanks, for the Memories"

From: Los <los@c...>
Date: Mon, 07 Feb 2000 20:55:59 -0500
Subject: Re: "Tanks, for the Memories"

> why must they be wheeled, rather than tracked?

I don't know I didn't write the specs, probably lighter, cheaper, less
maintenance headache and nearly as manueverable as tanks.

<< i guess swapping an M1 for a LAV3 is a pretty big shift in focus!

I believe you will find them trading their M2's NOT M-1's. The M2 is the
Bradley Infantry FIghting Vehicle. THe reason for going to wheels is
that the
wheeled vehicles tend to be LIGHTER, making them air deployable rather
than
requiringa Ro-Ro sea transport and a train to get them to their area of
operations.
<<<<<<<<<<<

BTW it is M1 tanks they swapped out for not Bradleys. (A tank battalion)
 Now
before someone scratches their head and goes wtf? One of the new wheeled
tanks
selected, is gong to have main gun armament. However the task for now
with
this Initial Brigade is to  work out a whole slew of issues such as
deployability , field logistics, mobility and tactics, etc. So for now
the LAV
III's will do. You can rig them up with Miles to simulate any size gun
you
need. Then when the new tanks come on board they can focus on gunnery
and
whatnot.

Los

Prev: Re: Poll: HBs and Armour Next: For the Kiwis