Prev: Re: [FT] Fleet Thrust Next: Re: Tank vision systems

HBW debate

From: Graeme Bradbury <graeme.bradbury@b...>
Date: Sat, 5 Feb 2000 15:11:09 -0000
Subject: HBW debate

Well just to add my bit of input to this.

I did the number crunching on average damage for the beams (can post the
numbers if you want)
The beams do lower damage than p-torps in the 12-30 range (though the
difference is <1)
higher damage in the 0-12 range (difference <1 for small beams >1 for
larger beams compared
with large numbers of p-torps) And naturally more damage at the 30-36
range.

The main thing I noticed is that two approaches yield different results.
If you use two BE and BPS systems so as to alternate firing from turn to
turn, then mass required
is the same as for p-torps. If on the other hand you use one large BPS
and enough class 1 BE's to
fire the half the BPS's capacity each turn you get a lighter mass
requirement.

e.g.. 8 p-torps take up 32 space. A HBW system that can fire 8 dice (2x
Class 4 BPS 4x Class 1 BE's)
every turn requires 28 mass.

This means that approach one weighs and costs the same as the same
p-torp system with the added
benefit of a double damage alpha strike at the expense of a one turn
charge up. And approach two
which acts like the p-torp system, but with no alpha strike like
approach one but leaves extra space
for other systems.

So all in all i think HBW's need to cost just a smigen more. (The only
problem is i can't think of how
much)

Graeme

(Or we could just convice Jon to convert FT over to FMA system ;-p )

Prev: Re: [FT] Fleet Thrust Next: Re: Tank vision systems