Prev: Re: Tank vision systems Next: Re: Tank vision systems

Re: Tank vision systems

From: Roger Books <books@m...>
Date: Fri, 4 Feb 2000 10:04:31 -0500 (EST)
Subject: Re: Tank vision systems

On  3-Feb-00 at 23:08, Popeyesays@aol.com (Popeyesays@aol.com) wrote:
> In a message dated 2/3/00 4:37:47 PM Central Standard Time,
> laserlight@quixnet.net writes:
>
> <<
>   Why, exactly?  If I can get optical, thermal, UV, ultrasonic
>  and radar imaging delivered to the inside of my armor, why would
>  I want to stick my head out and get shot at?  Just because "I'm
>  used to it"?  I'd get used to the electronic version pretty
>  quick,  particularly after seeing a couple of my more stubborn
>  fellows take a 5.56mm in the head or lungs.
>   Think of it as "evolution in action".
>   >>

> Today a tank commander has much of this available sitting in his seat
-
> yet  Israeli tank doctrine can get a tank commander FIRED from his job
if
> he  buttons up OTHER than under artillery fire - Why because the tank
> commander  buttoned is the tank commander blinded to the all around
> situation. US  doctrine also calls for staying "heads uo" in combat.
> Why?????????? Because  we have the best tank to tank kill ratio (us
and the
> Israeli's ) of any  nation around.

The image I seem to be getting from you is a guy in the tank looking
at a TV screen.  In this situation you definately don't have a feel
for the all around situation.

Change that to the guy wearing a VR helmet and now he IS looking around.
He turns his head he sees what is there.  He hears with ears better
than anything we humans have.  In this situation you wouldn't feel
as disconnected, you would feel like you were the tank.

Roger

Prev: Re: Tank vision systems Next: Re: Tank vision systems