Prev: Re: [FT] Heavy Beams 2nd Draft Next: Re: Heavy Beams - 3rd Attempt

Re: (OT) Naming the Aliens

From: aebrain@d...
Date: Fri, 4 Feb 2000 00:05:31 GMT
Subject: Re: (OT) Naming the Aliens

>>picked the right brains, between 'Ferengi' and a miser,
>moneylender, or
>>financial institution.
>

>"Farangi" is actually an Arabic word used during the Crusades,
>meaning "Franks", ie anyone from western Europe.

It's a bit more complicated than that, though Laserlight's right.

In Thai, the word for "Foreigner" is Falang, or Farang. Comes from
Falang-say
which is "Francais". There are many similar examples, some coming from
the Arabic,
others directly.

<humour>

Whthere you take your etymology from 11th century Arabic (Spanish
Conquest),
12th century Outremer, 19th century Thai, or any point in between,
Ferengi =
The Frogs. No matter where you go outside Europe, the Spanish or
Portugese may
have got there first and grabbed all the gold and silver, the Dutch
might taken
everything else not nailed down, the Brits may have then removed the
nails and
everything else, but universally the word meaning Obnoxious
Moneygrubbing Untrustworthy
Foreigner is derived from a word meaning "French".

Personally If I were Gallic, I'd be proud of this contribution to world
culture,
as it's likely to continue in perpetuity. Despite the best efforts of
the Yanks.
And despite us Aussies being far worse <g>.

</humour>

Prev: Re: [FT] Heavy Beams 2nd Draft Next: Re: Heavy Beams - 3rd Attempt