Prev: Re: Tank vision systems Next: RE: (OT) Naming the Aliens

Re: Tanks

From: Los <los@c...>
Date: Thu, 03 Feb 2000 17:48:40 -0500
Subject: Re: Tanks

> << As does the T80 and the
>  latest Russian tank the T90 also uses an autoloader and a three man
crew.
>  The Russians have been using auto loaders and three man crews for
years.
>  (Maybe it helps field larger forces?) >>
>
> And NATO tanks with four man crews and human loaders have outperformed
WP
> tankers for years.

Re: All these  Nato vs WP tanker(with autoloader) battles occurred? If
you're
talking about the Gulf war, where's the correlation about autoloaders
being
inferior to anything? There were a lot of factors involved in the
defeat.
That was more an issue of operational  and tactical excellence, and crew
quality than anything else. We would have won those tank fights if both
sides
had got out an swapped tanks. Having worked very closely with mideast
forces
for many year, I've yet to be impressed by very many of them. Sure they
can
generate violence but when it comes to successfully conducting modern
warfare, tank or otherwise, Nah.

The fact is, (And Tom already made this point)	that if auto loaders and
three
man crews are already to day present in potentially 40-50% of the
world's
tanks, then it's hardly a stretch of the imagination that 200 years from
now,
auto loaders will be a common an item in AFV design as are automatic
rangefinders.

Los

Prev: Re: Tank vision systems Next: RE: (OT) Naming the Aliens