Prev: Re: Re:Tanks vs. APCs Next: RE: Looking for Cybertank Figure......

Re: Tanks

From: Ryan M Gill <monty@a...>
Date: Wed, 2 Feb 2000 19:00:13 -0500 (EST)
Subject: Re: Tanks

On Wed, 2 Feb 2000 Popeyesays@aol.com wrote:

> Amen! Brother

:)

In further poking around (I had read this a year ago cursorily so I was
foggy on the duties) I found some more specifics on Loader duties.

When a Tank platoon is going to occupy a battle position some tank
crewmen will dismount and scout the area ahead of time to figure the
best
position for the tanks (less time spent mucking about for the enemy
spotters to note). Typically the tanks will take an over watch positiona

and the Pltn ldr and the loaders from the wingman tanks will go with him

to scout around. In the case of the AGS (Armoured Gun System with a 3
man
crew) the gunners were to do this, leaving the tanks with fewer crewman
capable of operating.

http://www.adtdl.army.mil/cgi-bin/atdl.dll/fm/17-15/chp4.htm
see the section on Deliberate Occupation...

Naturally Infantry are good in this case, but there will still need to
be
an individual from the tank platoon to go with who ever is scouting.
(remember, OddBall got out of his tank to go with Kelly to see where he
was to go, when you need to sneak, you must get out and look with your
own eyes...blundering about gets you killed).

- Ryan Montieth Gill	  NRA / DoD# 0780 (Smug #1) / AMA / SOHC -
- ryan.gill@turner.com	    I speak not for CNN, nor they for me -
- rmgill@mindspring.com 	     www.mindspring.com/~rmgill/ -
- '85 Honda CB700S  -  '72 Honda CB750K  - '76 Chevy MonteCarlo  -
-  No more limits on the 2nd amendment. Enforce the extant laws  -

Prev: Re: Re:Tanks vs. APCs Next: RE: Looking for Cybertank Figure......