Prev: Re: [SG2/DS2] Infantry Walker design rules Next: RE: Tanks

RE: [SG2/DS2] Infantry Walker design rules

From: Aaron Teske <ateske@H...>
Date: Tue, 01 Feb 2000 21:40:11 -0500
Subject: RE: [SG2/DS2] Infantry Walker design rules

At 02:30 PM 2/1/00 -0800, MWS wrote:
>At 08:50 AM 2/2/2000 +1000, you wrote:
>>     Hmm, I am wondering if the SLAM shouldn't really be a Multi
Launcher
>>Pack in Stargrunt terms? Note a limited exposure to Heavy Gear....
Owen G

>Not quite.  The main "base weapons" in Heavy Gear consist of 3 grades
of
>Autocannon and 3 grades of Rocket Packs (yes, I know there there are
Very
>Light and Very Heavy versions :-)
>
>Here's the relative base damage multipliers:
[snip]

Unfortunately, I can't seem to find my old conversions for the Gears,
which
were admittedly for SGII since I was going to use the RAFM minis
there...
though, having purchased some of the VOTOMs-style 'bots from Jon a while
back, I should look at doing DSII versions.

Anyway, I got away from trying to use exact conversions from HG to
DS/SG;
instead I "fuzzed out" the damage multipliers a bit.  Thus, LACs (25mm
weapons, from the weapons description) are RFAC/1s, while MACs (30mm)
and
HACs (40mm) are both RFAC/2s.  Within SGII, I was using various numbers
of
the ML (multiple launcher) packs to simulate the rocket pods (Owen also
mentioned this), though I think I did go with a SLAM for the HRP -- at
least in Dirtside. ^_^;

Obviously, I hadn't plotted this whole thing out, but I *did* have a
good
number of notes I wish t'eck I could find right now....

>Unfortunately, *all* of the Gears are properly Class 1 sized.	The
small
>scout gears tend to be around 4 meters tall, the "trooper" Gears are
4.3
>meters and around 8500 kg, and the "fire support" Gears top out around
5.1
>meters tall and 12,000 kilos.	Striders bump up into the Size 2 or Size
3
>category.

Oh yeah, that's the other thing -- "infantry walkers" in DSII are 3-4 m
tall, so I'd say the fire support gears (Griz, Spit, etc.) are properly
size 2.  This also gives them the benefit of the extra armor level to
reflect their toughness.  I think I was going to use size 3 for the
various
striders just to keep the classifications... if not the proper relative
armor levels.  Just 'cause you have the capacity doesn't mean you have
stuff it with weapons!

(Hmm, I guess this would serve as a good starting point for rewriting my
aforementioned notes... though that'll also take away from my GZG ECC
III
prep.  Augh! ^_^;; )

					Aaron

Prev: Re: [SG2/DS2] Infantry Walker design rules Next: RE: Tanks