Prev: Re: Do my eyes deceive me? Next: Re: New NAC ship and a cheese question

Re: New NAC ship and a cheese question

From: Alan E and Carmel J Brain <aebrain@d...>
Date: Tue, 01 Feb 2000 18:11:26 +1000
Subject: Re: New NAC ship and a cheese question

devans@uneb.edu wrote:

> However, for a one-off scenerio where such a ship is escourted to try
> and crack a particular facility wouldn't be outrageous. Am I thinking
> of St. Nazarre(sp?)? I recall Brit use of a converted US destroyer;
such
> actions occurred during both WWI and WWII. Arguably much further if
you
> count Neapoleonic fire ships and the like.

Yes, you are thinking of St Nazaire. HMS Campbelltown, ex USS Buchanon.
Basically, the US gave 50 superannuated WW1 destroyers to the UK in
1940, and received several billion dollars worth of naval bases (Bermuda
amongst em) for 99 years. The destroyers at the time were priceless,
(any old tub was useful, as it freed up 1 fleet destroyer for
anti-invasion duties) even though it turned out a very few were in such
bad condition as to be unusable even in this role.

For such "Fire ships", I'd say that you should write all orders at the
beginning of the game. So great for taking out Battlestations, space
docks, orbitting drednaughts etc but not so good vs things that move.

--
	      http://www2.dynamite.com.au/aebrain
 abrain@cs.adfa.edu.au o O*OO^^^^OO*O o oo     oo oo	 oo

Prev: Re: Do my eyes deceive me? Next: Re: New NAC ship and a cheese question