Prev: Re: FOR SALE: 15mm Laserburn figures & Vehicles Next: GZGOLC - Request for opinions

RE: Tank Sizes

From: Ryan M Gill <monty@a...>
Date: Mon, 31 Jan 2000 17:12:34 -0500 (EST)
Subject: RE: Tank Sizes

On Mon, 31 Jan 2000, Mike Wikan wrote:

> I would imagine that propellant would be supplied in insertable
cartridge
> reservoirs (i.e. 2x 10 gallon drums of Binary propellant) that way all
the
> resupply folks have to do is pop the armored hatch (breakaway in case
of
> mixing/explosion) and slide the liquid propellant canister into place.

I'd think that two hoses would be more logistically easy. One could fill

up at the POL stops and have less down time. Tanks are thirsty
creatures,
filling up the propellant resovoir every time you gassed (diesel'ed,
Kerosene'd or whatever'd) up would make much more sense than having
disposable containers for the fuel. Another issue is the seal at the
inside for your "tank" of propellant.

I think the big problem with liquid propellants is leakage and how to
remove said propellant when a round has been loaded and needs to be
unloaded.

The leakage issue is related to breach blocks. Most tank guns have a
sliding breach block which is sealed by the back of the casing (which is

usually the only thing not consumed from the firing, everthing else
being
consumed). A liquid propellant would require a shift from a sliding
breach to a screw in breach at the least. The screw in breach at least
allows for bagged propellant and no casing. How well that would work
against a liquid propellant, I'm not sure, but perhaps it would work.

Removing the propellant would also be a tricky thing as there can't be
any residue left that would potentially ignite...

- Ryan Montieth Gill	  NRA / DoD# 0780 (Smug #1) / AMA / SOHC -
- ryan.gill@turner.com	    I speak not for CNN, nor they for me -
- rmgill@mindspring.com 	     www.mindspring.com/~rmgill/ -
- '85 Honda CB700S  -  '72 Honda CB750K  - '76 Chevy MonteCarlo  -
-  No more limits on the 2nd amendment. Enforce the extant laws  -

Prev: Re: FOR SALE: 15mm Laserburn figures & Vehicles Next: GZGOLC - Request for opinions