Prev: Re: FT: sensors Next: [FT] Consolidated History

Re: FT: sensors

From: Michael T Miserendino <MTMiserendino@l...>
Date: Mon, 31 Jan 2000 15:12:00 -0500
Subject: Re: FT: sensors

Michael Miserendino
Senior Software Engineer
Lincoln Re
mtmiserendino@lnc.com

>>> owner-gzg-l@CSUA.Berkeley.EDU at internet 01/31/00 02:54PM >>>
On Mon, 31 Jan 2000, Sean Bayan Schoonmaker wrote:

> >Can fighters make any sort of identification before making an attack?
> >(I recently was in a battle when the enemy's 24 torpedo fighters
attacked
> >my smallest ship not knowing anything about my fleet composition)
>
> I would say yes. They would have the same range as passive sensors.

>or possibly less; a fighter carries a smaller sensor array than a ship,
>even though there may be 6 in a group (and hence interferometry,
>synthetic
apertures and that). passive sensors but with half the range?

I have experimented with this quite a bit and found that using a shorter

range than ships works well to balance between supposedly less powerful
sensor packages than a ship and the far reaching range of the fighter.

Fighter Sensors
-Each fighter group can make only scan per turn.
-Passive scan range is 6".
-Active scan range is 12".
-Active and passive scans only provide the ship type, not detailed
information as available with larger ship sensor suites.

I'm still experimenting with ranges, but have used the above for
Battlestar
Galactica games to simulate the close proximity to ID targets from a
fighter
squadron.

Mike

Prev: Re: FT: sensors Next: [FT] Consolidated History