Prev: FMC Rules anyone Next: Re: Max Thrust

The Merkava is NOT an APC

From: "Thomas.Barclay" <Thomas.Barclay@s...>
Date: Mon, 31 Jan 2000 10:51:45 -0500
Subject: The Merkava is NOT an APC

Michael wrote:

That would be the Merkava. Custom hull and turret, MkIII & IV models
ise a 120mm smoothbore (for compatibility with NATO hardware IIRC).
The engine is in front, doors in the rear allow for access to the
stowage compartment. They can carry 90 rounds for the main gun (was
105mm, must be less for the 120), or 45 rounds plus an infantry squad
or a couple of stretchers (now THAT is a battlefield ambulance you'll
feel safe in). There was a proposal for buying Merkavas in place of
M-1s, but the domestic design won out; and did alright in Iraq so it
can't have been a bad decision.

** They are a passable MBT (maybe even pretty good). You do realize
(according to a source of mine who teaches AFV recognition courses at
one of
our UN training centers) that this is never (well, I won't say *never*)
used? I think the doors are there to facilitate ammo loading, and
according
to my info, one day someone just decided to do a demo with troops
aboard. It
wasn't really ever intended that way. Then when they realized the troop
carrier thing could be done, they'd consider it in areas where the tank
ammo
didn't matter as much - like cruising around occupied territories -
where
that option did in fact protect the grunties without risk to the tank
from
having a lower ammo count and extra warfighting considerations. But if
they
expect a real shooting war, its bye-bye Mr. Footslogger, hello more
ammo. It
also frees the track commander from having to act as a battle taxi when
he
has other more pressing things to deal with like enemy armour. It's a
neat
facility, but it isn't a substitute for an IFV. They've tried different
IFVs, but found the M113 style to be rather boxy, an easy target, and
easy
to penetrate. When they use their old converted T-? (whatever it was
they
captured), they rip off the turret, remove the ammo, somehow make a
deployment system for the troops (this is the part I'm vague on), and
they
can hold a squad uncomfortably but much more safely in what used to be
an
MBT hull and is one of the more solid APC hulls now. I understand the
Russians have actually considered this too, as well as several other
forces.
If you have a rack or old MBTs, it isn't that bad of a use for them.
They
may not be able to slug it out with tanks, but done up right and with
applique armour added, they make a tough APC.

** Something like this is the concept behind (I believe) the BMP-60 from
Eureka. Correct me if I'm wrong, dudes down under?

Thomas Barclay
Software UberMensch
xwave solutions
(613) 831-2018 x 3008

Prev: FMC Rules anyone Next: Re: Max Thrust