Prev: Re: [OFFICIAL] poll - 15mm figures..... Next: Re: Tanks vs. APCs

Re: M113 APCs and Things

From: Alan E and Carmel J Brain <aebrain@d...>
Date: Mon, 31 Jan 2000 18:19:14 +1000
Subject: Re: M113 APCs and Things

Fabet@aol.com wrote:

> < Note: these versions are NOT amphibious. As has been demonstrated by
>  experiment. Despite this, they have a lot of floatation gear around
>  them, which has been proved to be useful vs shaped charges.	>>
>
> Technically speaking the 11 in all it's varients are swimable not
amphibious.
> When chassis are altered the weight shifts and the vehicle has
problems. To
> overcome this floation panels were added. The later FSV had them as
does the
> Vulcan.

Take it from me, the FSV is not amphibious, not swimmable, it doesn't
float, regardless of the flotation panels. The rear is just too heavy,
and it very slowly pokes its nose in the air, until finally it's nose
up, despite the engine's location.

No, I wasn't in it when it happened, but a mate of mine was the driver.
Everone got out, but the recovery was a pain, as it sank after about an
hour.

--
	      http://www2.dynamite.com.au/aebrain
 abrain@cs.adfa.edu.au o O*OO^^^^OO*O o oo     oo oo	 oo

Prev: Re: [OFFICIAL] poll - 15mm figures..... Next: Re: Tanks vs. APCs