Prev: Re: Leader Loss Next: Re: Rifle types

Re: M113 APCs and Things

From: Michael Sarno <msarno@p...>
Date: Thu, 27 Jan 2000 07:58:03 -0500
Subject: Re: M113 APCs and Things

Ryan M Gill wrote:

> Don't forget the ACCV
> has the Hvy MG (M2HB) and a pair of SAWs on either side. All have
sheilds
> and the Commander's Cupola (with the M2 mount) had a side shield. His
> hatch made the rear. So he had pretty good cover all around. Against a
> force with heavy weapons, an ACCV (or A-Cav) would be toast pretty
quick,
> but in close quarters fights against light forces, they were great.

    Do you think this warrants giving the gunners on the ACAV any cover
bonuses?

> Add a Size 3 Tank with a 90mm gun (gotta have that beehive round) and
you
> are set. Speaking of beehives, the 152mm beehive round on the M155
> Sheridan was nasty. About as close to an 8 gauge shotgun as you can
get
> for tanks.

    We had a discussion of this on the Charlie Comapny discussion list
(http://www.egroups.com/group/charlie-company/info.html) a little while
back.  You
can search the archives for the "beehive rounds" thread.  One of the
list members
even forwarded a pic of the flechettes used in the beehive rounds.  And
I thought
the beehive round was nasty BEFORE I saw that pic.

> Another interesting vehicle to do would be an Ontos, 6 (yes SIX) 106mm
> Recoiless rifles mounted on a really small tracked vehicle (also size
2,
> crew 3). They fired them and then moved to cover to reload. The odd
> contraption saw its best use during the USMC's battle to retake the
ancient
> city of Hue during Vietnam. 6 Rounds in a rapid fire could be hell.

    I know I'm going to model the Ontos in one of my SGII games at some
point, so I
should probably ask now that you mentioned it.	How would you model the
106mm RR?
Thanks.

-Mike

--
Michael Sarno

http://vietnam.isonfire.com
Check out the Charlie Company Discussion Group:
Info, resources, and links for RAFM's miniatures
skirmish wargame of infantry combat in Vietnam 1965-1972

"The world has no room for cowards.
 We must all be ready to toil, to suffer, to die.
 And yours is no less noble because no drum beats
 before you when you go out in your daily battlefields.
 And no crowds shout about your coming when you
 return from your daily victory or defeat."
 -Robert Louis Stevenson

Prev: Re: Leader Loss Next: Re: Rifle types