Prev: Re: An apology for the unwashed Re: Heard at The Local Game Store... Next: Re: FT tactics vs slow ships, tiny ships are toast

Re: An apology for the unwashed Re: Heard at The Local Game Store...

From: Michael Sarno <msarno@p...>
Date: Tue, 25 Jan 2000 11:34:36 -0500
Subject: Re: An apology for the unwashed Re: Heard at The Local Game Store...

devans@uneb.edu wrote:

> I still maintain that FTII vs SGII/DSII are very different feel and
> learning curves.

    Without a doubt, FTII has a very different feel from the FMA System
(TM) games.  They're totally different in structure and play.  Any
comparison of FT and FMA is simply ludicrous.  They simulate completely
different systems and their game mechanics are not the least bit
similar.  At the core of FMA, is the die shift and the opposed die
roll.  FT doesn't have a similar mechanic and bases the entire system on
d6 rolls.
    If somebody likes FT or FMA and thinks that the other system is
going to give them a similar experience is in for a rude awakening.  As
a starship combat game, FT/FB is the best game out there.  As a sci-fi
infantry game, SGII has it all.  The same can be said for DSII and
sci-fi armor platoons.	So, other than being the best in their
respective classes, I don't see FT and FMA as having any noteworthy
similarity.

-Mike

--
Michael Sarno

http://vietnam.isonfire.com
Check out the Charlie Company Discussion Group:
Info, resources, and links for RAFM's miniatures
skirmish wargame of infantry combat in Vietnam 1965-1972

"The world has no room for cowards.
 We must all be ready to toil, to suffer, to die.
 And yours is no less noble because no drum beats
 before you when you go out in your daily battlefields.
 And no crowds shout about your coming when you
 return from your daily victory or defeat."
 -Robert Louis Stevenson