Prev: Beth's Poll Next: DS2 Tanks

Re: Nice work John C!

From: John Crimmins <johncrim@v...>
Date: Thu, 20 Jan 2000 23:56:58 -0500
Subject: Re: Nice work John C!

At 10:54 AM 1/20/00 -0500, you wrote:
>That's quite a cityscape. Though from what/where did you get the rather
>uniform looking tenement buildings? They have the look of cardboard
walls
>and a plastic roof?

GW buildings, from Space Marine and its sequels.  I got them all through
Bartertown, and I had another boxfull that didn't make it onto the
table.

The others were a handful of microtac buildings, souveniers of the
Chrystler Building and the Empire State, and some resin skyscrpaers
produced by Galia, that they never put into full production for some
reason.

>It's quite a board. I know I'm impressed. I hope the large multi-table
>scenario with mountain terrain me and Los will run at GZG ECC is
equally
>eye-catching.

What did you make your mountain out of?  Our group's mountain was made
of
styrofoam covered with modelling paste -- very durable, and gave a nice
stony finish.

(It's vaguely visible in some historical gaming pictures, which you can
see
here:
http://www.voicenet.com/~rjfrantz/picpage.htm	The top picture, showing
the a town located inside of a dormant volcanic crater, is probably the
best. )

>I liked the idea of Owens' because as I recall it described you could
easily
>put troops in buildings and it featured a very very congested board
>(buildings within 2 cm of one another, few clearings of the 6"
variety).

Armorcast does some excellent 28mm ruined buildings, and they now sell
non-ruined modern/sf buildings as well.  Modular construction, removable
roofs, and pretty cheap.  I haven't purchased any yet, due to a lack of
funds, but I intend to rectify that soon.  And I want to pick up that
tank
of theirs, too; beautiful work.

Most of our recent games have been on very built-up boards, filled with
Armorcast and GW ruins.  I have a very small table for gaming, so we
need
to make the terrain pretty dense if we want the game to go on for very
long.  I need to do more Dirtside, or Ogre, games.  Either that, or
paint
up some of those 15mm guys who are gathering dust....

John X Crimmins
johncrim@voicenet.com
  --Spider Robinson, The Callahan Touch.

Prev: Beth's Poll Next: DS2 Tanks