Prev: "Average" FT ship size? Next: Re: FT: tactics vs a slow mover with high arcs

Fw: [FH] SARCo

From: "Laserlight" <laserlight@q...>
Date: Wed, 19 Jan 2000 20:58:29 -0500
Subject: Fw: [FH] SARCo

-----Original Message-----
From: aebrain@dynamite.com.au <aebrain@dynamite.com.au>
To: Laserlight <laserlight@quixnet.net>
Date: Wednesday, January 19, 2000 08:02 PM
Subject: Re: [FH] SARCo

>>Yeah, we've noticed they're a lot more openminded about claim
>>jumping if they get there second.  Excuse me, "cooperative
>>rescue efforts".
>
>Glad you see the OU point of view. It's such understanding that
makes the OU-Alarishi
>relations so, um, interesting. Especially since the OU and
SARCo manage between
>them to rescue several hundred casualties that neither of them
could have saved
>alone. The OU just don't think that a SARCo "Gigantor" class
fleet tug is needed
>to help the OU recover a single-space lifepod. Whereas an OU
Patrol Craft must
>be on hand to enforce the relevant safety regulations (in OU
space, anyway)
>when the thirty or so SARCo vessels are surveying a derelict
SuperDreadnaught,
>so they're entitled to half the proceeds.
>
>>> They also make sure SARCO doesn't convert a marginably
>>>profitable insured rescue into a very profitable salvage. Not
>>that
>>>anyone in SARCO would ever dream of doing this (again,
>>anyway...).
>>
>>That was an accident, they would have died anyway, we don't
want
>>to talk about it,
>
>No worries, since the principals all had accidents soon after,
or so the OU
>understands. The Emperor appears to value his good name rather
highly, and takes
>a dim view of people besmirching it.
>
>Microgrammes of barely Antimatter in the loo paper... pressure
breaks the containment.
>Someone in the Alarishi Dirty Tricks department has a vicious
sense of humour.

Antimatter is too expensive to use that way.  It was actually a
nickel-iron meteor fired at high velocity which happened to hit
an open disposal port, one of those one-in-a-million
things.....(long pause)...did I say "fired"?  I meant "moving",
sorry.

>> and if we're going to bring that up, what
>>about Hokaido Maru, eh?
>
>OK, let's talk about it. The Hokaido Maru quite accidentally
had repeated collisions

The old "my thrusters locked on and I couldn't turn them off"
story.	Right.

>with a rival Zaibatsu's research station in OU space, thereby
killing about
>a hundred civilians under OU protection. That's the official
story, and the
>OU has no reason to doubt it. The crew weren't boarding to try
to steal industrial
>secrets and ensure that there were no survivors, they were
conducting a rescue
>attempt when the OUDF Patrol Vessel "Gawler" arrived on an
unscheduled supply
>run. That's the official story, and the OU has no reason to
doubt it.

>And the entire crew on watch all committed ritual suicide to
atone for their
>regrettable error, by marching one at a time out of an airlock
without their
>vacsuits.

You're not counting the ones who shot themselves repeatedly
while wearing, um, "hostile environment armor"?  Was that
finally ruled to be suicide as well? (as in, "They decided to
fight against Assault Marines?	That's _______ !")

> All the crew of Gawler did was act as their seconds, and give
them
>a little friendly help. MS "Wombat of Retribution" (formerly
Hokkaido Maru)
>was inducted into the OUDF as legitimate salvage, and not as
reparation. That's
>the official story, and it's best for all concerned if everyone
believes it,
>even "Vultures R Us", sorry, SARCo.

Exactly.  So you understand how a rare and completely
uncharacteristic mischance can happen even to the most skilled,
dedicated and professional rescue operations.  Such as
ourselves.

Prev: "Average" FT ship size? Next: Re: FT: tactics vs a slow mover with high arcs