Prev: Re: Re: [OT] Looking for Galoob Star Wars fighters, again Next: [FT] Professionalism and Quality Results

Re: Nominal Taxation Rates

From: Beth Fulton <beth.fulton@m...>
Date: Mon, 17 Jan 2000 10:03:43 +1000
Subject: Re: Nominal Taxation Rates

G'day guys,

I was just wondering about something when this thread came back up
again.
When you were throwing around %GDP were they peace-time or war-time,
I've
seen it written that Germany plowed 45% GDP into WWII, but I'm not sure
if
that's true and its obviously not sustainable - guess that's why we get
the
"peace within war" bits of the Solar Wars.

As to the UN...

I think they probably do get some funding from member nations, but I'd
guess having learnt all too well from how crippling dependency on such
things were for both the League of Nations and the UN (our UN) then they
will have a sizeable direct funding scheme of their own, be it
colonies/patents/protection-racket whatever. I'd interrpreted the
GZG-fiction to suggest they were kick-ass now and that they KEPT the
peace
in the Inner systems and we're just ABIDED by - OK they'd get kicked if
they tried to do the same in the outer systems, but in the Inner systems
they are a serious body - and so would need their own finance system. I
know this doesn't fit with everybody's view of them though (most people
responding to the poll saw them as as much of a token force as they
believe
the UN is today, begs the question as to how they did keep the Solar
Wars
out of the Inner systems then).

Just some slightly relevant raving for you.

Beth

----
----
Elizabeth Fulton
c/o CSIRO Division of Marine Research
GPO Box 1538
HOBART
TASMANIA 7001
AUSTRALIA
Phone (03) 6232 5018 International +61 3 6232 5018
Fax 03 6232 5053 International +61 3 6232 5053

email: beth.fulton@marine.csiro.au

Prev: Re: Re: [OT] Looking for Galoob Star Wars fighters, again Next: [FT] Professionalism and Quality Results