Prev: Re: Ship designation decals, suggestions... Next: Re: OU ships and a hunt for some Battlestar Galactica "ish" fighters

Re: Nominal Taxation Rates

From: "Laserlight" <laserlight@q...>
Date: Thu, 13 Jan 2000 17:57:24 -0500
Subject: Re: Nominal Taxation Rates

>What do folks think are reasonable % of GDP to spend on
military? Canada I
>think is around 1-2% and we're the low end. I think anyone over
20% is in
>land of too-much-spending. So here are some guestimates for the
future
>powers (Feedback is good!).

I covered this in mid December too.  Going off memory, most
Third World countries without an immediate threat are in the
1-2% range.  Most Western Bloc countries are in the 5% range.
Russia in the Cold War was around 19% as was Israel.  I think
the winner of the "Militarize Your Economy Into the Stone Age"
was Angola at 37%.  The lowest I recall seeing listed was 0.8%.

At some point I'll try to work up figures on how "spending too
much on your military" affects your economy.

>Though, just looking at the numbers, I have no idea how Israel
is supposed
>to withstand any serious attack from the IF. Their only hope
lies in the
>vast divisions in the IF block. If the IF ever got its act
together, Israel
>would be toast (again).

Which is why I specificied the IF structure to be as internally
competitive as I did.