Prev: Re: Overall fleet sizes Next: Re: OU ships and a hunt for some Battlestar Galactica "ish" fighters

Overall fleet sizes

From: Thomas Barclay of the Clan Barclay <kaladorn@h...>
Date: Wed, 12 Jan 2000 22:56:17 -0500
Subject: Overall fleet sizes

Time to spark up another thread of controversy for the wolves to ravage.

If Mark is even within +/-100% with his FB fleet lists (no gaurantees,
I'm sure he'd say, but the best effort so far), then I recall the number
140,000 points being touted for the NAC fleet. Is this correct? Did
someone actually run the calcs for the fleet lists Mark made? if so, do
they have the numbers? (And has someone done this in such a way that it
will be easy to redo? - it seems to me this list should eventually make
it into a spreadsheet or db thus making this task easier - esp if
recalculation is req'd).

Assume that 140K is a little shy (I didn't see fleet replenishers,
various training and gate vessels, survey vessels, coastal (in this case
planetary) patrol ships, and all the small or kind of oddball ships
(recovery vessels etc) the fleet usually has). I think it more likey
that the point value is somewhere around 175K (if we added in various
other elements). So, if the NAC is around 175 K points, and it rates a
10 on our "big and nasty scale", what does that say about the other
powers?

Where does the ESU, NSL, FSE, NI, OU, LLAR, FCT, JAP, KNG, etc fall in
that spectra?

This is of some interest to me as it will help "parameterize" the fleet
sizes.

Basically, I'm sure you could get a feel from them by using roughly the
following method:
R(pop): ratio of population in question to NAC est (current day) (For
ESU, say 1.3 to 1.6)
R(tech): ratio of techinical advancement/productivity relative to NAc
(say ESU = 0.8)
P-NAC: The estimated size of the NAC (big boy) fleet - 150 - 175K

P(other power) = R(pop) * R(tech) * P-NAC
For our conjectural ESU = 2.0 (a guess!) * 0.5 (another guess) * 175K =
about 175K

The productivity factor can also include inefficiencies in maintenance
and procurement to effectively limit fleet size.

Now, that's one approach. The reverse approach is constructing fleet
lists like Mark did, and working backwards to get the ratio of
productivity (you know the rough population figures of today - that
ratio can be used as a fudge but it's a known, and if you use this
method, you know roughly the size of your other nations fleet).

In any case, I'm interested to see where that puts our other nations....
thoughts? i'm looking to ballpark the various nations fleet sizes.
Keep in mind of course no non-canon nation would be very able to match
the NAC in size... I suspect starting with a population of say 700
billion is a big stepping stone. But the ESU must have a starting pop of
about 1.5 billion. (in 2000 terms).

So.... what do we think? Advocates, lobbyists, special interest groups,
and general caterwauling masses please form an orderly line at the email
server..... :)

Tom B.
To whom a wrench in the works is a good excuse for some upgrades

"Good? Bad? I'm the guy with the gun." - Ash, Army of Darkness

Homepage: http:\\fox.ntsn.ca\~kaladorn\index.html
ICQ: 58316640 (Tomin8tor)

"Ah. I see. Inform me if there is any change in his condition."
<hangs up the phone>
"How is he?"
"He's dead."
-- The movie Top Secret

Prev: Re: Overall fleet sizes Next: Re: OU ships and a hunt for some Battlestar Galactica "ish" fighters