Prev: Re: Heavy Fighter Technology Next: New Ships

Re: Ship designation decals, suggestions...

From: "Robin Paul" <Robin.Paul@t...>
Date: Thu, 13 Jan 2000 01:42:13 -0000
Subject: Re: Ship designation decals, suggestions...

----- Original Message -----
From: Ryan M Gill <monty@arcadia.turner.com>
To: <gzg-l@CSUA.Berkeley.EDU>
Sent: Wednesday, January 12, 2000 10:12 PM

> On Wed, 12 Jan 2000, Michael T Miserendino wrote:
>
> > In Traveller and other sci-fi games, I have noticed they have used M
for
> > missile and G for gun.  I guess the assumption is, if you have
missiles
they
> > are guided to begin with.
>
> In modern US Naval parlance, the G was added to differentiate from the
> Gun versions that were normally just DD or CA or FF. N was added to
> indicate the Nuclear powered aspects of the ship.
> - Ryan Montieth Gill	    NRA / DoD# 0780 (Smug #1) / AMA / SOHC -

I have a vague recollection that G originally supposed to be SAM, and M
was
SSM (as in the Pegasus PHM = Patrol, Hydrofoil, Missile).  My guess
would
be that M fell by the wayside as the USN had various prehistoric
cruise-missile subs for which the designations would be confusing - SSM
(Grayback) or SSMN (Halibut!).	The best ones are designated PLARK,
anyway
:-)

Rob Paul

Prev: Re: Heavy Fighter Technology Next: New Ships