Prev: RE: Pod Racing at GZG-ECC III Next: Re: Transport designations

Re: Decals

From: Tom Anderson <thomas.anderson@u...>
Date: Thu, 13 Jan 2000 01:20:47 +0000 (GMT Standard Time)
Subject: Re: Decals

On Tue, 11 Jan 2000, John Leary wrote:

> Bell, Brian K wrote:
>
> > I would suggest CH for Heavy Cruiser because I have seen CA also be
used for
> > Fleet Auxiliary Cruisers. Same thing for Heavy (Attack) Carriers
CVH.
> > -----
> > Brian Bell
>
>      No offence ment to Brian, but this can only cause confusion and
> violate traditional IDs.
>
> (CA was originally - Armored Cruiser)

the H suffix often means 'helicopter' in the modern world; 'CVH' for
helicopter carrier, for instance. just to keep you on your toes, there
are
the RN's carriers, which are 'CAH' - they are technically 'through-deck
cruisers', and it seems harriers count as helos; i suspect this may be
part of a cunning misinformation programme, probably aimed at
parliament.

just to ruin everyone's day, i'l add that (afaik) corvettes are usually
designated 'FFL', as if they were light frigates.

on cruisers; a destroyer with a missile is a DDG; a cruiser with a
missile
is a CG. a plain destroyer is a DD, which suggest to me that a cruiser
is
simply a C. this neatly explains CA/CL vs FFA/FFL, but it does leave you
with the rather odd-looking C for plain cruiser (not that i've ever seen
plain cruiser except in made-up designs). and remember, a CAG isn't a
heavy missile cruiser, it's a carrier air group. oh, the joy of
nomenclature!

tom

Prev: RE: Pod Racing at GZG-ECC III Next: Re: Transport designations