Prev: Re: Japanese naval shipyards Next: Re: [FT] Crew Professionalism and Ship Quality (longish)

Re: OT: Battleships vs. Carriers...

From: Ryan M Gill <monty@a...>
Date: Tue, 11 Jan 2000 05:27:35 -0500 (EST)
Subject: Re: OT: Battleships vs. Carriers...

On Mon, 10 Jan 2000, Imre A. Szabo wrote:

> > Proceendings is a Magazine that is geared for students of Bellicose
Naval
> > sciences. It is published by US Naval Institute.
>
> That's not true at all.  The Proceedings is a professional form that
is very
> well respected in the militaries the world over.  It is unique because
there is
> no oversight from the USN or any other military.  This means that
ideas get

Umm, isnt' US Naval Institute press the group that publishes it?

> printed in the Proceedings that would never printed in other journal
because of
> dogma of doctrine and/or political correctness.  If the author of an
article
> doesn't have his act together, he gets shredded in the Comment and
Discussion
> section for the next several issues.	I know of several officers in
the US Army

Really, go to sci.military.naval and see what they are saying about the
BB article. Most of the folks there are lambasting it. Blackbeard had
some bad things to say about the article as did A. Toppan. Both I
respect
highly.

> who subscribe to the Proceedings, so it is geared to far more than
students of
> bellicose naval sciences.

Imre, there is form of speech whereby someone is described as a student
of science X or Y even if they are very well versed in it. I'm sure
Lehey
Considered himself a student of naval tactics. I'm sure Nimitz
considered
himself a student of Naval Sciences in general (tactics being one of
them), though I'd not presume to think Adm Rickover considered himself a

student if submarine warfare ( he wrote most of the post war book on the

subject).

- Ryan Montieth Gill	  NRA / DoD# 0780 (Smug #1) / AMA / SOHC -
- ryan.gill@turner.com	    I speak not for CNN, nor they for me -
- rmgill@mindspring.com 	     www.mindspring.com/~rmgill/ -
- '85 Honda CB700S  -  '72 Honda CB750K  - '76 Chevy MonteCarlo  -

Prev: Re: Japanese naval shipyards Next: Re: [FT] Crew Professionalism and Ship Quality (longish)