Prev: Re: [FT] How screens work (was Re: UNSC designs) Next: Re: Ship designation decals, suggestions...

Re: [FT] Crew Professionalism and Ship Quality (longish)

From: RWHofrich@a...
Date: Mon, 10 Jan 2000 18:54:36 EST
Subject: Re: [FT] Crew Professionalism and Ship Quality (longish)

beth.fulton@marine.csiro.au writes:

> FT National crew and ship characteristics:
>
>  1. Crew quality? Please use a 1-5 scale where 1=mostly poorly trained

>  troops (either militia or green) and 5=mostly elite crews (top of the

line,
>  well trained and very experienced)
>  ESU
2 (short term conscription is a bad way to get crews)
3
3
2
1
4
>  LLAR
2 to 3
3
4
>  NI
4 or 5
3
>  OU
3 or 4
>  PAU
2 or 3
>  RH
2 or 3
3
3
>  Other..<name>.....FSU
3 or 4 (having all-volunteers is a good thing)

>  2. Leadership quality (admirals)?
>  Please use a 1-5 scale where 1=mostly bad leaders (abysmal who lack
>  training/intelligence/charisma) and 5=mostly terrific leaders (well
>  educated/quick thinkers/men would follow them to hell and back)
>  ESU
2 (only an idiot can believe in communism, and idiots make bad officers)

>  FCT
2 (Texicans would find it hard to follow Hippies, and vice versa)
>  FSE
3 (some good, some bad, most in between)
>  IC
2 (too corrupt for an efficient officer corps)
2
>  JAP
3 (generally have a problem with creativity, but great at exercising
initiative)
>  LLAR
2 (lots of initiative, but the pool of talent is small--only sons of
wealthy
types, etc)
>  KNG (Dutch)
4 (good tradition)
>  NAC
3 (good tradition, but too big to keep out the politically connected
idiots)
>  NI
3 (highly motivated, but the cream historically has gone to the Army)
>  NSL
3 (good tradition, but political connections still count for too much)
>  OU
4 (small enough to keep out most of the idiots)
>  PAU
2 (tribal rivalries keep things interesting, not much of a tradition)
>  RH
3 (almost small enough to keep out the idiots, but political connections

still count for too much)
>  SWISS
3 (efficient, but not much tradition)
>  UNSC
varies--depends upon who joins up--I'd guess 2 as the best would join
their
home nation's military, the seconds would go to the UNSC
>  Other..<name>.....FSU
3 (small enough to keep out the idiots, but since mostly limited to
Anglo
population, too small a population base to give you the best)

2
3
3
2
2
>  JAP
4 (very dedicated)
>  LLAR
3 (machismo counts for something)
>  KNG (Dutch)
3 (lacks the experience of the major powers)
>  NAC
4 (countless insspections and drills are good for something)
>  NI
4 (very dedicated)
>  NSL
4 (teutonic efficiency--and not knowing when to quit)
>  OU
4 same as NAC
2
>  RH
3 (small enough to weed out some problems, but...)
>  SWISS
3 (lack experience)
>  UNSC
3 (lack of homogeniety does cause some problems)
>  Other..<name>.....FSU
4 (dedicated)

2
4
3
2
2
5
3
4
>  NAC
4 (too big to be a 5, but pretty darn close)
4
>  NSL
4 (that German efficiency again)
4
2
2
4
4
>  Other..<name>.....FSU
2 (too many OLD ships)

>  5. Ability to make the best of opportunities (say to capitalise on
anothers
>  mistake to get a shot in etc)?
>  Please use a 1-5 scale where 1 = wouldn't know an opportunity they
fell
>  over it and 5 = give them an inch and they'll make it a golden mile.
>  ESU
1 (commissars and the rest)
>  FCT
5 (can you say, "Yeeha!")
3
4
4
4
3
3
>  NAC
3 (too big and varied to really be a 4 or 5, but depends upon
commanders)
5
3
4
3
3
3
>  UNSC
1 (too political--have to wonder what decisions will make some
delegation
unhappy)
>  Other..<name>.....FSU
4 (a small fish swimming among big enemies needs some advantage)

Enjoy.

Rob

Prev: Re: [FT] How screens work (was Re: UNSC designs) Next: Re: Ship designation decals, suggestions...