Prev: [FT] Crew Professionalism and Ship Quality Next: Re: Naval Quality Poll [ Long but worth it I hope ]

RE: Far Stars Union--web site for FT

From: "Hofrichter, Robert W." <hofrich1ter@v...>
Date: Fri, 7 Jan 2000 09:34:19 -0500
Subject: RE: Far Stars Union--web site for FT

Okay, I must do a mea culpa and accept responsibility for some messed up
ship displays-I will post the updated versions (correcting the items
mentioned by OO) soon-hopefully before the end of this coming weekend.

As for the other stuff-

RE number of capital ships:
I was actually going to originally give the FSU even fewer vessels until
realized that from a manpower perspective, the FT battlecruisers only
use up
the manpower equivalent of a present day SSN, with the lighter ships
requiring even less.  That sort of changed my mind.

My original write-up for the Romanov Hegemony (back before I discovered
that
someone else had already done them) was a fleet that only consisted of
one
battledreadnought, five battleships, three battlecruisers, six escort
carriers, and a bunch of smaller stuff-basically assuming that their
persistence on the interstellar scene was based upon their ability to
counter the ESU with alliances (in other words, the NAC and NSL).

RE general vessel design philosophy (weak hulls, lack of armor, use of
screens on light units):
The Revenge-class carriers are all OLD and have been rebuilt so many
times
that I wanted to show a design/hull that had just been pushed beyond its
limits-hence the weak hulls.  As for the Virginia-that one was modified
so
extensively from its original configuration that I figured the hull
would be
substantially weaker than when originally built.  In each of these
cases,
the vessel was a carrier, and so, based upon the fighter theories
espoused
by the USN, shouldn't actually be placed in the line of battle.  As for
the
Echo/Foxtrot designs and the use of screens instead of armor-while the
nation started out as a breakaway from the NSL, most of the Navy folks
are
Anglian-descended, and tend to think more like the NAC Admiralty than
the
NSL.  The reasons screens were used on the escorts are:

1.	because of the "big ship" thinking of the Brass runs up against
the
limited shipyard capability that the nation has.  In other words, it's a
prestige thing-vessels with screens are OBVIOUSLY more important than
those
without ;-)
2.	armor wasn't used extensively because armor has to be repaired
between battles-which could take yard time, while screens (unless they
are
knocked out) continue to function.  Think of this as a strategic reason,
not
a tactical one; and finally
3.	the point defense capability of the FSU fleet is pretty good
(much
better than standard designs as most vessels have more PD than
equivalent FB
units and many have ADFC, contributing to the protection of their
squadron-mates, not to mention the fighters), passive defenses are seen
as
the primary method for protecting against beams, while PD handles the
missiles.

The item one must keep in mind is that the FSU is definitely a
third-rate
power and their conflicts with major powers to date have been tertiary
(or
at most secondary) sideline affairs.  Massed capital ship actions are
not
just rare, they are EXTREMELY RARE!  Usually it's a couple of BC or a
light
carrier and escorts per side-and that's considered a major battle by the
FSU.  That's why just one obsolete dreadnought can be such a big factor
in
the fighting out in this far reach of human space.  Or that's how I see
it,
anyway.

To sort of sum this up-the designs presented were not intended to be the
most efficient nor necessarily the best for use in tactical
situations-like
most real-world vessels, their designs are based upon national
production
capabilities, the changing whims of Admiralty, strategic as well as
tactical
considerations, and just plain silliness (in a few instances).	I
appreciate
the comments though and will make the changes referenced above soon!

Robert W. Hofrichter
(who usually posts from rwhofrich@aol.com)