Prev: Re: Far Stars Union--web site for FT Next: Re: [FT] Crew Professionalism and Ship Quality

Re: [FT] Crew Professionalism and Ship Quality

From: "Oerjan Ohlson" <oerjan.ohlson@t...>
Date: Thu, 6 Jan 2000 16:14:48 +0100
Subject: Re: [FT] Crew Professionalism and Ship Quality

Noam wrote:

> Opportunism: This has got to be leader- or commander-dependent. I
> don't think an entire fleet can be genearlized in this way.

It definitely can. The culture and doctrine of each fleet includes
among other things its opinions on opportunism, individual thought and
risk-taking.

Compare the Cold War Soviet ground combat doctrine with its NATO
equivalent, or early WW2 French vs Germans, or for an SF example take
the Peeps vs the Manticorans. In both cases one side expected its
officers to execute fairly detailed orders without showing too much own
initiative while the other expected them to achieve an objective
without interfering that much with exactly how it was achieved - IOW,
one side had a low opportunism rating while the other had a high
opportunism rating.

Of course there were exceptions in all these cases, but that's handled
by using a range rather than a fixed value.

Regards,

Oerjan Ohlson
oerjan.ohlson@telia.com

"Life is like a sewer.
- Hen3ry

Prev: Re: Far Stars Union--web site for FT Next: Re: [FT] Crew Professionalism and Ship Quality