Prev: Re: [FT] Crew Professionalism and Ship Quality Next: Re: Lensmen

Re: [FT] Crew Professionalism and Ship Quality

From: Beth Fulton <beth.fulton@m...>
Date: Thu, 06 Jan 2000 10:25:32 +1000
Subject: Re: [FT] Crew Professionalism and Ship Quality

G'day ,

>There are three issues here: a) how good are the crews; b) how good
>are the captains; c) how good are the admirals.

OK to clarify a little in Erratic Thrust crews would be given a general
rating (Green/Regular/Good/Elite) before the game and Admirals wood be
rated on a scheme Abysmal - Superior. As for the actual quality I was
after
,its more a mash of how well the crews and captains work together and
even
blends in available materials etc too. So I was looking for a rating,
say
using 1- 5 (as that best suits the granularity I'm using), where 1 =
unlikely to accomplish unsual or difficult tasks and 5 = pretty much do
anything asked of them).

>As far as crew quality among the Big Four, I'd say NAC is best,
>followed closely by NSL, with FSE only meriting "good" and ESU
>"adequate".  Even the best of the PAU and IF won't be as good as the
>normal NAC crew, although they might beat an average FSE crew.

Now is this in the sense of green/regular/good etc or in the
unlikely/sometimes/mostly complete difficult task sense?

Most minor nations--despite the "we're small but we can
>whip anybody our size" syndrome--simply will not be up to Big Four
>standards because they won't have the funds to practice or the variety
>of institutional combat experience.

Yep I agree there, I just wasn't sure if there was one particular force
(Japs or something say) which had a reputation for being "cracking"
despite
their small size.

>In all cases, you won't be able to rate "all NSL crews get an 8 on a
>1-10 scale", because individual ship captains will have a lot to do

>with their ships' quality.  You might give a leeway of +/- 2 rating
>points, perhaps.

That'd actually be covered more in the green/reg/good/elite rating
rather
than what I was aiming for I think - well actually I guess it'd be in
this
other thing too to some extent, but I want to keep this general
(national
charcteristics level) and so individual crew detail will be kept linked
the green/reg/good rating.

>On the other hand, the NAC probably doesn't have the best admirals.
>Just a lot of them.

This'll be reflected in their command quality rating (abysmal-superior)
-
NAC more likely to have better than average leaders (though they can
still
throw the odd dunderhead too)

>If someone can HTML-ize a form where we can take a poll rating the
>various nations, where " 1 " means "you'd be better off arming your
>merchantmen" and "10" means "an active, experienced crew from a
>long-standing professional navy tradition", that would be really
>interesting.

That'd be great! I could have a try tonight, but html is something I'm
new
at so I can't promise what it'll look like. Alternatively you could fill
in
the following and send it to MY email address (
beth.fulton@marine.csiro.au
) and I could collate the results and post them more generally
(should've
done this in the first place!).

Cheers

Beth

FT National crew and ship characteristics:

1. Crew quality? Please use a 1-5 scale where 1=mostly poorly trained
troops (either militia or green) and 5=mostly elite crews (top of the
line,
well trained and very experienced)
ESU
FCT
FSE
IC
IF
JAP
LLAR
KNG (Dutch)
NAC
NI
NSL
OU
PAU
RH
SWISS
UNSC
Other..<name>.....

2. Leadership quality (admirals)?
Please use a 1-5 scale where 1=mostly bad leaders (abysmal who lack
training/intelligence/charisma) and 5=mostly terrific leaders (well
educated/quick thinkers/men would follow them to hell and back)
ESU
FCT
FSE
IC
IF
JAP
LLAR
KNG (Dutch)
NAC
NI
NSL
OU
PAU
RH
SWISS
UNSC
Other..<name>.....

3. General professionalism?
Please use a 1-5 scale where 1 = vessel unlikely to accomplish unsual or
difficult tasks and 5 = pretty much do anything asked of them.
ESU
FCT
FSE
IC
IF
JAP
LLAR
KNG (Dutch)
NAC
NI
NSL
OU
PAU
RH
SWISS
UNSC
Other..<name>.....

4. Vessel reliabilty?
Please use a 1-5 scale where 1 = board at own risk and 5 = made to last
.
ESU
FCT
FSE
IC
IF
JAP
LLAR
KNG (Dutch)
NAC
NI
NSL
OU
PAU
RH
SWISS
UNSC
Other..<name>.....

5. Ability to make the best of opportunities (say to capitalise on
anothers
mistake to get a shot in etc)?
Please use a 1-5 scale where 1 = wouldn't know an opportunity they fell
over it and 5 = give them an inch and they'll make it a golden mile.
ESU
FCT
FSE
IC
IF
JAP
LLAR
KNG (Dutch)
NAC
NI
NSL
OU
PAU
RH
SWISS
UNSC
Other..<name>.....

----
----
Elizabeth Fulton
c/o CSIRO Division of Marine Research
GPO Box 1538
HOBART
TASMANIA 7001
AUSTRALIA
Phone (03) 6232 5018 International +61 3 6232 5018
Fax 03 6232 5053 International +61 3 6232 5053

email: beth.fulton@marine.csiro.au

Prev: Re: [FT] Crew Professionalism and Ship Quality Next: Re: Lensmen