Prev: Re: Hi + new to list! Next: Re: FT AAR - Operation Furious Riposte - 20,000 pt battle

Re: Nanotech will solve everything...

From: "Andrew Martin" <Al.Bri@x...>
Date: Mon, 3 Jan 2000 10:03:17 +1300
Subject: Re: Nanotech will solve everything...

For more about the coming era of Nanotechnolgy, see:

Engines of Creation
K. Eric Drexler
ISBN 1-872180-46-9

Unbounding the Future - The Nanotechnology Revolution
K. Eric Drexler and Chris Peterson with Gayle Pergamit
ISBN 0-671-71108-3

For technical details about Nanotechnology, see:

Nanosystems
K. Eric Drexler
ISBN 0-471-57547-X
ISBN 0-471-57518-6 paperback

For way out seeming speculation on Nanotechnology, see:

Nanotechnology - Molecular Speculations on Global Abundance
Edited by BC Crandall
ISBN 0-262-03237-6 (hc : alk. paper)
ISBN 0-262-53137-2 (pb : alk. paper)

Roger wrote:
> I don't see nano-tech really happening, we are already reaching the
limits of how much information we can map into a small area due to
physical constraints.  Much smaller and it's going to run into the
uncertainty principle.	So, we are using nano-tech to wave our magic
wand and boom, these little machines the size of a single cell know not
only how every cell in the brain is made they also know how to put all
of it together so that it matches one specific individual. They also
have a super-duper Brain Positioning System so they know exactly where
they are at at any moment and they know how to coordinate with their
millions of buddies.  I just don't buy it.

> I am more likely to believe a new understanding of physics that
allows exceeding the speed of light than I am in believing we will be
rebuilding brains with nano-technology in the next 3K years or so.

Your objections are covered in the book, 'Engines of Creation' and, in
great detail, in 'Nanosystems'. Far better than I could currently hope
to cover in this email. If you can't get hold of these books quickly,
check out Drexler's site http://www.foresight.org for more about
nanotech and frequently asked questions.

I hope that helps!

Andrew Martin
Al.Bri@xtra.co.nz
http://members.xoom.com/AndrewMartin/
Online @ 33,600 Baud!
-><-

Prev: Re: Hi + new to list! Next: Re: FT AAR - Operation Furious Riposte - 20,000 pt battle