Prev: Followup to Operation Furious Riposte [FB KV speculations] Next: Re: Followup to Operation Furious Riposte [FB KV speculations]

Re: Followup to Operation Furious Riposte [FB KV speculations]

From: "Phillip Pournelle" <emisle@e...>
Date: Sat, 1 Jan 2000 16:41:59 -0800
Subject: Re: Followup to Operation Furious Riposte [FB KV speculations]

    We can't compare maximum damage, because of beam rerolls, but a
class 3 railgun (if it rolls a 6 at 30") then a 3 on the dice, will do
six points. Not that hard to do. For a class 3 beam to do that kind of
damage, it needs to roll either three sixes to start with or at least
one six and some other good numbers followed by some other good numbers.
It just doesn't happen that often. So it seems likely that with some
luck, a class 6 RG is significantly more dangerous than an equivalent
beam (fewer die rolls, regresses less to mean results).

	Actually you can.  The expected value of a beam die (D6 with
rerolls for 6s is 4/5).  If you need me to explain how to solve for this
I can.	Compare the expected damage of weapons at certain ranges and
you'll have something to work with.