Prev: Re: [ot] you can find ALMOST anything on ebay... Next: Re: [ot] you can find ALMOST anything on ebay...

Time and Distance yet again

From: Thomas Barclay of the Clan Barclay <kaladorn@h...>
Date: Fri, 31 Dec 1999 00:26:52 -0500
Subject: Time and Distance yet again

Thanks Oerjan!

2.5 min/turn, 100km/MU, and 1G=1 thrust is great!

It seems like a turn scale that 1) makes integration with SG2 easy (an
SG2 turn could easily be defined as 2.5 min). That'd make a combined
FT/SG2 Boarding game a real hoot! Also, it'd make combat ranges 3600 km
or less, which I find far more believable than 36000 km. Still
incredible by today's standards, but with a far nicer feel.

It seems most folk are in favour of something like this (the inertial
compensators help cut acceleration, but aren't good enough to let you
pull 100 Gs) and the general expression seems to be the time and
distance scale are more favorably received than the landing
requirements. Under a system like the one in question, I figure thrust
2+ ships that are streamlined should be able to land and take off from
planets, and say thrust 3 for partially streamlined ones. That'd make
for more useful landing ships too as packing in thrust 4 and 6 motors
really cuts down on the hullspace.

I think I'll use this scale in my own game. It also makes me happier
with a rule I was contemplating trying out... the (previously mentioned
some time back) idea of having ships be forced to pay a manoevre point
per facing turned. That'll make the caps perform like behemoths and the
smaller ships with high thrust perform more like PT boats.

Thanks for the commentary! Nice work.

"Good? Bad? I'm the guy with the gun." - Ash, Army of Darkness

Homepage: http:\\fox.ntsn.ca\~kaladorn\index.html
ICQ: 58316640 (Tomin8tor)

"Ah. I see. Inform me if there is any change in his condition."
<hangs up the phone>
"How is he?"
"He's dead."
-- The movie Top Secret

Prev: Re: [ot] you can find ALMOST anything on ebay... Next: Re: [ot] you can find ALMOST anything on ebay...