Prev: Re: Time/Space scale Next: Re: ID codes - second draft

Re: Time/Space scale

From: "Oerjan Ohlson" <oerjan.ohlson@t...>
Date: Thu, 30 Dec 1999 06:54:29 +0100
Subject: Re: Time/Space scale

Alan Brain wrote:

> Firstly, in Newtonian, I'd like a realistic (ie "sufficiently
bacwards
> technology so it's distinguishable from magic") thrust to go with the
> realistic (albeit 2-D) movement. To me, this means 1 Accel = 1g or
less.
> 0.5g would be good, but 1.0g is plausible. A bit hard on the crew,
those
> long periods of 8g, but with fluid baths, doable with today's
> technology.
>
> 100km/MU, Thrust-1 = 1g(about 10 m/sec), 1 Turn = about 2.5 mins has
> a nice feel to it, round numbers, etc. It also allows "table-edge"
> planets, which I like.
>
> The only advantage 0.5g has is that it allows finer scales of
> gravitational graduation over the table. If memory serves, the radius
of
> the Earth is about 12,000 km, or 120 MU.

No, the *diameter* of the Earth is about 12,700 km (equatorial radius
6378 km, polar radius 6357 km)

> So we have 1g at 120 from the centre, hence 0.25g at 240.

64 and 128 mu, respectively

> And at 48 MU from the surface, 0.5g.

26.5 mu

> Which means that we could say that, over a table-tennis table with
the
> planetary surface at one end, there would be Thrust-2 towards the
planet
> within 24mu, Thrust-1 at 25-72MU, and no effect further out.

For an earth-sized planet, this'd be:
Thrust-2 out to ~10 mu
Thrust-1 at approx. 10-40 mu

Regards,

Oerjan Ohlson
oerjan.ohlson@telia.com

"Life is like a sewer.
- Hen3ry

Prev: Re: Time/Space scale Next: Re: ID codes - second draft