Prev: Re: Medtech 2180 a la Fulton Next: RE: [SG2] Battle Report - Neu Bayern

Time/Space scale

From: Thomas Barclay of the Clan Barclay <kaladorn@h...>
Date: Tue, 28 Dec 1999 21:54:30 -0500
Subject: Time/Space scale

Though I like the smaller scale MU and the more abbreviated (if you
could call 6-7 minutes abbreviated) turn, I will point out that their
exists the bugbear of the planetary landing rules. Requiring thrust 4
for a streamlined vessel suggests that thrust 3 would be insufficient.
Any thrust over 1 G should be sufficient, given some time. So it seems
to me likely that one possible derivation for this system would put 1G
constant thrust would be equivalent to a thrust of 3. Therefore 6 is 2
Gs. Now, this suggests our intertial compensators aren't that great.
Otherwise, why can't we pull 6 Gs all the time?  But if we say 1 thrust
is 1 gee, then the landing rules make no sense.

Hmm.... I sense a quandry.

What kind of world would we end up in if 1G was 3 thrust? that's only 1
constraint, and I think we'd also need to pick either a time scale or a
distance scale to bring meaning. But I'm not sure what would be
appropriate.

Or maybe we should stick with 15 minutes and 1000km per turn (lets
planets fit on boards), accepting that the landing on planets rules then
need chucked (in this world view, thrust 2 should be sufficient for
streamlined, and maybe 3 for partially streamlined ships).

It's interesting - reconcile the landing rules, you end up with a crappy
level of intertial compensators, smaller delta vee values, and probably
a smaller distance value. Chuck the landing rules, and you can no doubt
use figures for time and distance that make thrusts more "manly" (higher
G) and imply a better level of inertial compensator while also providing
the ability to put a planet on the board.

Anyone have a suggestion on how to put it all together?

<I'm off to prepare for a 20,000 pt FT battle tomorrow set in 2185>.

Tom.

"Good? Bad? I'm the guy with the gun." - Ash, Army of Darkness

Homepage: http:\\fox.ntsn.ca\~kaladorn\index.html
ICQ: 58316640 (Tomin8tor)

"Ah. I see. Inform me if there is any change in his condition."
<hangs up the phone>
"How is he?"
"He's dead."
-- The movie Top Secret

Prev: Re: Medtech 2180 a la Fulton Next: RE: [SG2] Battle Report - Neu Bayern